Menu

Needs help with getting up earlier!

I need to get up earlier.

My problem? Well sleep of course.

I am getting hot flashes and sometimes they wake me up at night. I haven't slept through the night since I was in early pregnancy with ds3 (later pregnancy I was getting up to pee in the middle of the night :)). Even now I wake up at least once in the middle of the night.

We also go to bed late. 10:30 is the earliest everyone gets to bed. I need it to be earlier but it just doesn't happen. This is partly my fault and I can work on that.

Now for the hard part. I want to be up by 6am. I need to be. I like to get the majority of my work done before the kids get up for school. Getting up at six would mean I only need 1 more hour of work after they get up instead of two.

So how do I drag my bum out of bed at 6am? Even with an alarm I still can tap it and make it shut up :).

Suggestions?

As weird as it sounds, maybe you'd find waking up earlier to be easier?

For me, I don't know if it's my sleep cycle or what, but I find waking up between 6 and 7 to be pretty much impossible. I just cannot get out of bed and am completely out of it for about half an hour if I do manage to. But, I can usually get up between 5 and 5:30 without much problem if I set my alarm for then.

I'd experiment a little, and see if it's possible that an earlier time might work better with your sleep cycle.

My husband makes the coffee in the morning and fixes my cup of coffee with milk and sugar and then I get up (he sends our chocolate lab in to wake me up) and we have time to chat. That motivates me to get up at 5 am. Otherwise I sleep in.

Ha! I wish. My dh is still sleeping even now, and this is normal. If he gets up before 10am it is early.

As weird as it sounds, maybe you'd find waking up earlier to be easier?

For me, I don't know if it's my sleep cycle or what, but I find waking up between 6 and 7 to be pretty much impossible. I just cannot get out of bed and am completely out of it for about half an hour if I do manage to. But, I can usually get up between 5 and 5:30 without much problem if I set my alarm for then.

I'd experiment a little, and see if it's possible that an earlier time might work better with your sleep cycle.

Oooo excellent idea! I hadn't thought of that!