Menu

Help me design a house's interior

We are remodeling a small/medium sized house and pretty much completely redoing the interior. It will be a sort of cabin-ish house - with lots of wood accents. Think rustic rather than polished.

I need to come up with a plan pretty quickly - especially for any "built-in" elements I might like.

What "built-in" elements do you have in your house or wish you had? Please be specific! Things like bookshelves, pantries, niches, and so on.

What cool things do you have in your kitchen? Bathroom? Living room?

I'd especially love to hear about any special/unique touches.

Also - what type of flooring do you have/love in your kitchen?

I love built-in bookcases and a pantry is a must! I didn't have bookcases so my husband built some and made them look like built-ins. I'm thrilled with them. I don't have a pantry and there is never enough room in my cabinets for dry goods, canned items and my dishes!

If I could choose any flooring, I'd definitely go with hardwood or laminate wood.

When we remodeled our kitchen I made sure that everything below the counter moves..as in roll out shelves or drawers. I have 4 huge, deep drawers that hold casseroles, bakeware, kettles, etc. I love them!

My sink base is 3 inches deeper than the rest of my countertops. It was more of a design look than anything, but it turns out that my backsplash stays much cleaner.

I did the little flip down openings on the front of the sink too. Great place to store scrubbies and such.

At the last minute I added in a shallow cabinet for keys and bills. Looks like a regular door, but inside is all the messy stuff that use to hang on a rack on the outside.

In my bathroom we just finished, I put in a roll out laundry hamper cabinet. Love it!

I got a lot of cool ideas from Pioneer Woman's (Ree's) kitchen.

Our place is rustic-we have wood floors, a built in hutch, an antique cookstove in the kitchen, some open shelving...

bookshelves would be great. open beams. maybe a galvanized tub type sink in a bathroom. lantern style lights for accents...paned windows. Stone accents are nice.