Menu

Are your children preparing to take the AMC-8 exam in Nov?

LNC

My children (5th and 7th) went to their first Homeschool math club meeting Tuesday to prepare to take 6 math exams this year. TRICKY problems! The first exam is the AMC-8 in Nov.

Today, I printed a few sample exams with solutions. The coach/math professor working with them will send more study guides by email. But I had no idea what we were getting into! After working through 3 sample problems with the coach for 45 minutes they were excited about math more than ever. But, I was shocked and somewhat dismayed. I'm seriously wondering how they will get any of the problems right out of 25!!!

Encouragement that we can learn to think this way would be greatly appreciated!

You can do it!

Have a look at the mean scores from previous exams; they're quite low. Getting even a few problems right, especially for your younger kid, is an accomplishment.

You might practice with Mathcounts problems of the week (they have loads archived, so you shouldn't run out). They're sort of similar to AMC8-style questions, and usually pretty entertaining.

Have fun. :)

My children (5th and 7th) went to their first Homeschool math club meeting Tuesday to prepare to take 6 math exams this year. TRICKY problems! The first exam is the AMC-8 in Nov.

Today, I printed a few sample exams with solutions. The coach/math professor working with them will send more study guides by email. But I had no idea what we were getting into! After working through 3 sample problems with the coach for 45 minutes they were excited about math more than ever. But, I was shocked and somewhat dismayed. I'm seriously wondering how they will get any of the problems right out of 25!!!

Encouragement that we can learn to think this way would be greatly appreciated!

The AMC tests are a great way to sneak in math, aren't they? :)

In case you have not yet found this resource yet, the AoPS Wiki has a page of AMC8 tests and solutions. IIRC, a few of the solutions might not be there, but I think you can find them by searching online.

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/AMC_8_Problems_and_Solutions

I have noticed that many kids advance in fits and spurts when it comes to AMC tests. This was true for my son. He'll be taking the AMC 10 this year and is hoping to do well enough to move on from there. Those darned little mistakes sometimes get him, though.

Anyway, have fun and make sure your kids get plenty of sleep the night before the test!