Menu

Is this enough for 10th grade?

Here is what my ds is doing for his sophomore year:

Logic (we're using Art of Argument and Discovery of Deduction)

Omnibus 2 both primary and secondary books (history, literature and theology)

Algebra 2 (Videotext)

Latin 2

DIVE Biology

He is taking a Lost Tools of Writing class at a homeschool co-op. They work mainly on communicating clearly, structure, etc. but don't complete entire essays very often, only about every 3 weeks or so. I was thinking maybe I should have him do a science or history paper once a week as well, kind of Robinson Curriculum-style.

Swimming 3-4x/week for P.E.

Scouts-extracurriculur

Youth group

I feel like he wastes a lot of time during the day and that maybe he needs more challenging subjects or just needs more something. At his age, it seems like he should be pretty focused during the day on his studies and perhaps a portion of the evening too. I just feel like we should be doing something more to help him prepare for the rigors of college but I don't know what that is.

I see 5-7 academic credits:

English (Omnibus Lit + writing class)

History (Omnibus)

Science

Foreign Language (what are you using for Latin 2?)

Math

Logic (Is this full credit or half credit?)

(Theology ? - Does Omnibus really take ~3 hours/day (less some writing time) for 3 full credits? I honestly have no idea having never seen it, let alone used it.)

and one non academic credit: PE

So, on the surface at least, that looks very reasonable. I am surprised that he would have a lot of free time during the day for that many credits. Is there no writing assigned for history or lit in Omnibus? In that case, I would definitely assign some. What are you using for Latin? Is he achieving good retention? Mine need to work pretty hard at Latin, not just on exercises and translations, but on memorizing paradigms and vocabulary. Is retention good in other subjects? We work toward comprehensive final exams beginning in junior high school; I expect retention of learned material, not just checked boxes for reading and exercises. Checking boxes - doing the assigned work - can be done at my house in much less than really learning the material takes.