Menu

Computer Education

There are so many options out there for every other subject, but what does one very computer illiterate mom do to keep her 9th grade son in the loop with computer science? This is a very important aspect of a high school education, and I have seen classes on Potter's School and a few other places, but I don't know how well this subject can be taught with distance learning.

First off, computer science isn't "a very important aspect of a high school education" - most schools don't teach even teach it - they teach how to use Word, PowerPoint and Excel. I suppose you could make a formal class of that (the local high school does,) but we just used those programs in our other classes instead and, voila!, the dc became proficient.

For ds, the computer geek, an old computer, a few "how to" books from Border's and a mission (create a website for his swim team,) got him through much more computer programming than the local high school even offers. Old computers are really cool for the kids who are into computers. They can take them apart and play with them, without worrying about breaking Mom's $500 computer. The older the better because they won't play the latest and greatest games, so the kids just mess with the computers themselves.