Menu

Anyone know anything about being an Esthetician?

my dd has finally decided on what she wants to do. She is 20yo and has been taking gen ed classes at the CC. She could never fully decide what she wanted to do. She has considered the following: physical therapist assistant, ultrasound tech, or occupational therapist assistant. She felt like she was just settling because she really didn't know what to do. She has always been interested in skin care. She really, really wants to be an esthetician. It would be a 6 month full time program. It is not cheap, but she has the money to pay in full in advance and get a 20% discount. There seems to be a great demand for them. She would really like to get work in a medical spa. Anyone know anything about the pay and job demand?

There is high demand in my metropolitan area, but it is a very expensive area with people who have money for that. The one associated with our dermatologist does very well indeed, and I know a local mom who works at a salon on just the weekends and makes good money.

Where I came from, the demand isn't there. Period.

Yes, demand depends on where she plans to live.

I was an esthetician in my former life ;). I left home at the age of 16 and studied for one year in the U.K.

Ran my own business at the age of 17-20. It wasn't very lucrative at that time in Grenada, back in the '80s. Plus, I was very, very young.

I would not encourage my dd to do this unless if she really and truly loves it.

Can she possibly spend some time "shadowing" or being with an esthetician?