Menu

Flags of Our Fathers

By James Bradley. . . I have never read it. DD 13 is wondering if it is ok for her age - anything inappropriate? I wish books would be rated like movies!

Barb

My son is 14 and he said there is a lot of violence- some graphic. Another thing he mentioned is there is a part when one of the Japanese kidnaps a friend cuts off his friends p*n*s, and puts it into his mouth. They find him that way. You don't know that at first, just that he disappears, they find him later. Then his friend has dreams about it, and wakes up talking about cutting off Japs ____ and doing the same. There is language too. So there is poo in the brownies, but it is realistic, and a good historical account. Sorry for the disorganization, wanted to chime in, but in a hurry.

This book is well-written, accurate, and gut-wretching. Personally, I would not let my 13 dd read it -- if it left me competely nauseated and heart sick, it would totally overwhelm her tender heart. Every man/young man I have spoken with who has read this book says it is a must read. That may be so, but I barely was able to handle the gritty reality as an adult.