Menu

K12's "The Human Odyssey" Online or not?

Last year we used Volume 1: Prehistory through the Middle Ages. I thought it was a great choice for a middle school spine, but I went crazy creating questions and maps to coincide with the readings.

This year I am willing to splurge a bit and purchase the teacher and student pages to save myself the craziness, and of course I am being lured by the online component.

Those of you who have used it, how much would I be missing if I skipped this extra $30/month? I have looked at a sample provided, and was a little underwhelmed by the online component. I saw "Building the Suez Canal" - great pictures etc, but not enough for 30/month IMO. It seemed as though the main draw was the assessment. Am I correct in this assumption, or is there more that I am missing?

Maybe History Odyssey by Pandia Press might be what you're looking for? They offer lesson plans that use the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia as the spine. Turns out quite a few families here on the boards use K12HO for the spine instead. Last year, ds used the KHO and did ancient history the WTM way. I discovered over the summer that he didn't retain a lot of the information he studied, and he thinks KHO is boring. We'll be using the K12HO & HO Middle Ages 2 combo next semester. This semester we're going to use K12HO books(text, TG, & SG), and online component to review the Ancients. It's true that one of the big draws of the online component are the assessments, but looks like most of the geography activities are online as well.

BTW-The ebook version of the History Odyssey guides are 25% off this month. Pandia also offers the first 30 lessons of each guide for free to try out.

Marilyn