Menu

SOTW, Oak Meadow, Classical Approach

MyLittleWonders

Sorry for the convoluted title; I did not want to start multiple threads, so I'm hoping I can make it all work in one.

1. Has anyone successfully condensed SOTW (any volume really) into a half-year? If so, did you omit certain chapters? Did you just speed read through it and omit activities/crafts?

2. I'm seriously considering hitting the purchase button on Oak Meadow 4 today. I've been feeling out of sorts with how we are doing things right now ... it all feels hodge-podged together. I have a fifth grader and third grader that will work through it together, with me adjusting expectations as needed. I'm only looking to buy the syllabus for the L/A, social studies, and science. (I'm happy with our math, Latin, and fine arts curriculum.) But, I'm going to stick with FLL 4 (Mon-Wed) and AAS (very much needed for ds#1 especially).

I'm wondering if it's possible to use a more classical approach with OM - is there room to add in narrations, dictation, outlining? Can I use SWB's writing instruction (I have the MP3s, and both the hard-backed The Complete Writer plus all four WWE) in the writing assignments in OM?

I have used OM before, but it was only K and 1st with ds#1, so it's been a while and I have never seen the upper elementary grade curriculum (other than the sample online). Our history studies are "off" in terms of the WTM order, plus I'm really wanting to make sure we do a good job of US/state history as well as civics/government. For that reason, I really like the 4th-8th grade social studies in Oak Meadow (that and the built-in literature curriculum is what appeals to me most). Also, it looks much simpler, in terms of planning and prep than what we are doing now (I feel like I have curricula coming out of my ears here ... one program for one thing, another for something else, sometimes 2-3 programs for one subject). With three now "in school" and a baby doing therapy in-home, and life in general, I'm looking to simplify a bit. :)

But it is expensive, even if I only buy the OM4 syllabus (and the accompanying Native American stories book). The literature books we either already have or I can get at the library. So, before I buy, I was hoping to get some input from others who have BTDT. Can you bring in SWBs writing into the curriculum? Can you integrate the IEW method? :big ear: Any input would be hugely appreciated!

I can't speak to everything but can you use SOTW as sort of a supplemental resource? It sounds like OM really incorporates a ton of history into their lessons....so maybe SOTW could be used in audio form for the stories :) Could you put it on in the car or during quiet time? That's all I got :lol:

If you're interested, here's a link to one of our OM4 sample weeks...it shows how I broke the schedule down into a daily one rather than a weekly one, mentions a couple of the things I added on, shows pictures of at least some of the things we did that week, and at the end there's a link to our first official day of OM4, from which you can click "next" as many times as you feel like it to read our daily blog entries from when we used OM4.

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/126472.html

(We've used OM4, OM5, and are starting OM6 and OMK this year)

Thank you all for your replies. Nance, I like reading your blog ... it was a great glimpse into how OM can look. I went ahead and ordered OM 4. While I wait for it to get here, I think I'll go through everything we are using right now (at least from a L/A, history, and science POV) and see what I absolutely want to keep using and what I'm okay shelving for now (or at least until I see how we are doing with the assignments/activities in OM). I really want OM to work for the L/A, history, and science components of our day ... it would be nice to have the consistency of it for the next 4-5 years (basically through middle school/junior high). Dh just cracked up when I told him. :)