Menu

Edible Cell Project

chepyl

We are learning about cells in biology (1st grade level stuff). I loved making my edible cell, but I don't remember what I used. I want it to taste good and Aidan wants it to be a sugar cookie. Has anyone made one before? What did you use for the parts of the cell?

I can make icing and color it. (I have lots of deocorator tools and colors)

We have various sprinkles and cookie decorations and chocolate chips

Any suggestions? I want it to be fairly easy, yummy, and hopefully...done without a trip to the store ;), but I will go if I have to.

Thanks! Maybe I can use the fruit...my kids really dislike jello...they are SOOO weird! Sometimes I really question whether they are really mine:tongue_smilie:

We could make it like the fruit cookie cake the Pampered Chef Reps always make. Thanks!

We made a sugar cookie (my kids only like pepperoni pizza, I wanted something they would eat). It is not amazing, but we had fun. When we come back around to Biology in a few years, we will take more time with it and maybe they will be more creative than I was. I am a dancer...not a visual artist :tongue_smilie:.

There are pics on my blog.

• 3 weeks later...
We made a sugar cookie (my kids only like pepperoni pizza, I wanted something they would eat). It is not amazing, but we had fun. When we come back around to Biology in a few years, we will take more time with it and maybe they will be more creative than I was. I am a dancer...not a visual artist :tongue_smilie:.

There are pics on my blog.

Thank you for posting this! I think I'm going to do this with my co-op class this week vs. the jello cell.

It was fun! I forgot how much I loved red hots on an iced sugar cookie! That was a fall carnival activity every year at school - cookie decorating! Sugar cookie, icing, sprinkles, and red hots!

Our cell was not amazing...we needed a few other things like the circus peanut marshmallows and some other icing colors; but he got the general idea and we ate some yummy cookie for a few days ;)