Menu

Cursive handwriting - questions

songsparrow

As our first day of homeschool is quickly approaching, I have more and more questions!

My dd (grade 5) learned cursive handwriting for the last two years at public school using the Zaner-Bloser Simplified style. She commented to me that she has difficulty reading other people's cursive writing. So my plan is to write notes and instructions in cursive to give her practice reading it.

But I was wondering - at this point, do I need to do any formal handwriting work with her? Or is it enough to simply require her to do a portion of her work (e.g., final drafts) in cursive, and if I find a problem with anything in particular to review that portion of her handwriting?

Thanks!

In grade 5, I was writing everything in cursive; not just my final drafts. Is there a reason she cannot start to write everything in cursive?

Also, for the reading practice, you can download older documents or letters in cursive and have her read them. You may also try to borrow old notebooks of other children (in her school or elsewhere) and have her read them.