Menu

Something beautiful amidst the sorrow...

I guess most of you know that one of my son's two roommates from Camp LeJeune, T, was shot and killed last week in Afghanistan. I just wanted to tell you something that the other boys did for their buddy's family.

They knew when the funeral was being held because N's mom (the other roommate) was going to be there. So, N called his mom while she was at the funeral, with my son and T's other good friends gathered around. N's mom took the cell phone to one of the Marines at the funeral and explained who was on the phone. The Marine took the phone over to T's mom, and N quietly told her that they were all there, holding their own vigil during the funeral, and just wanted to let the family know how much T meant to them and how much they loved and missed him.

I cried when I heard this. I think it is one of the most sensitive, touching things I have ever heard.

I guess most of you know that one of my son's two roommates from Camp LeJeune, T, was shot and killed last week in Afghanistan.

No, I didn't know that. I'm so sorry. And so glad that as of a few weeks ago, I no longer have any family stationed in either Iraq or Afghanistan. What a loving thing those guys did for T's mom.