Menu

Does anyone have an older child.....

working semi-independently with Sonlight? My 8th grader will be working through Core H (part 2 of world history) on her own, with check ins from me and of course I will be doing the read alouds.

My question is, how do you have your binder set up? I'm not sure (and either is she) if I should have a smaller working binder or just have her work through the big binder.

So I was just curious as to how other families are doing this :)

We have used SL from the beginning and I think at that age its very do-able semi-independently like you're describing. I make a smaller binder, say 9 weeks worth of material (schedule/notes). My son just doesn't look at the questions in the reader and read aloud sections since we discuss that stuff together. You might want to have her either give you a summary or jot down a summary of her history reading 2 or 3 times a week or simply use the History notes as questions in your discussion time to make sure she got the gist of her history reading. The SOTW books and even the Foster books were easy enough for my son to get through them without a lot of help from me. Once in a while I have to help out with the Foster books though.

I am somewhat with my oldest. He is not doing the writing part because he is doing IEW US History 1 with his brother. I am going to try the read-alouds as possible. We are all really enjoying "A Murder For Her Majesty". I am trying to implement it in a little WTM way by adding narration and outlining when possible. I am going to slowly ramp up requirements as the year progresses. Right now I'm teaching him how to read their schedule, and I have him write down a short summary about something he has learned each day. I do the questions with him when possible.

My 8th grader will be working through Core H (part 2 of world history) on her own, with check ins from me and of course I will be doing the read alouds.

My question is, how do you have your binder set up? I'm not sure (and either is she) if I should have a smaller working binder or just have her work through the big binder.

My 8th grade son will go through both Core G and Core H this year. I've used SL for 11 years and have always placed 3 weeks or so of schedules/guides in a working binder. So I'll have that on hand, and then my son will have a copy of the schedule on his own, too. This is also how I worked it when my oldest when through Core H several years ago. I honestly don't use the guides a great deal at this point, but if/when my 8th grader has questions, he can just refer to the guides in the working binder. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Enjoy!