Menu

SOTW AG (You'll know I'm new by these questions!)

jejily

1. Are the SOTW activity guides just for the younger students? My DS10 will be in 5th grade this fall -- are there activities in the regular book for his age? Would the AG be a waste of money for his age?

2. We've covered much of the material in SOTW1 already, using other curriculum. Could we start in the middle of SOTW1? Or...

3. Could we start with SOTW2, or would that be difficult? Does it build on things learned in SOTW1?

Thanks!

Of course, I had just read The Well-Trained Mind, so I was "starting in the middle" anyway. I found that the AG activity pages were, for the most part, for younger children --until we got to SOTW4. We still did narration in 5th grade, so the questions were useful. We did some of the activities/projects -- but we're not really into that kind of stuff anyway. The booklists and mapping exercises are very good.

We started with Ancients (SOTW1) in 5th grade, but we had not studied the ancients previously so it was a perfect fit for us. We just finished SOTW4 this year (8th grade) and we used the whole AG except any coloring pages. The "complete the outline" and "write from outline" pages were particularly helpful. We also purchased the tests last year for SOTW3 and I liked them so well we bought & used the SOTW4 tests this year also. I recommend them - they are a nice mix of fill-in-the-blank and essay questions.

So, IMO, the SOTW series "grows" with your dc but you can start with any book. Since you've already studied the ancients, why not move on to the next stage in history? Depending on the ages of your dc, you can cover what you missed in ancients the next time through...