Menu

who is studying chemistry this year?

Ds12 is studying chemistry this year. We use Robert C Mebane's Adventures with Atoms and Molecules. We complete experiment and write out definitions as set out in WTM.

My problem is that I like chemistry too much!:) I don't know if I am asking him for too much detail concerning his chem notebook.

Anyone willing to share their "table of contents" for their definitions??!

So far we have...atom, electron, proton, neutron, ion, chemical reaction, molecule, polymer, diffusion, acid, base, and heat. Am I over-excited or OK?

Opinions, please.:)

My dd, 10-11 this year, LOVES studying Chemistry! I don't have her notebook right here, but there are MANY vocab. words in it! We used Christian Kids Explore Chemistry, which she really enjoyed! Each chapter has vocab. words for them to copy down and learn.

During the summer, at some point, we'll start NOEO Chemistry, and when she's done with that, we're going to Rainbow Science, which has a Chemistry section. She says she LOVES Chemistry now, and wants to be a Chemist! So, at this stage in her schooling, I can accomodate her interest, and go with as much Chemistry as I can! She'll be basically 6th grade next year (not in content but in average school grade for her age/peer group). So as time goes by, we'll do deeper studies if she wants to! Chemistry scared me to death in college, so I'm thrilled at how much shse loves it, and hope this base will help her feel more at ease and confident in her abilities in Highschool and College!

Go for it! If you're excited, that will hopefully rub off on your ds! :D

ETA: I just looked at her list. There are 69 vocab. words! She may not be able to recite each one from heart at this point. But she learned about each and every one, and could tell me about them while she was going over them. I'll use that as a base to draw from as we continue. The more she does in Chemistry, the more she'll use those words and things, and the better she'll remember them!

Oh....well....if that's too much I better re-think my 5th grade plans for next year.

I'm just going to use the Usborne Encyclopedia as our spine, and add in experiments from his Chemistry Set. But, for each 2-page spread I'm requiring anywhere from 2-5 definitions.

I think you're ok - but I haven't actually tried my plan yet. =)

Rhonda