Menu

Could anyone compare Classical Composition to Classical Writing for me?

I saw Classical Composition recommended somewhere (wish I could remember Where!), and it looked sort of appealing because it is less expensive than CW and only has two manuals for each level instead of three.

So far, though, I have only used CW Aesop and WTII, so I'm not familiar with classical writing programs at higher levels. I feel like I don't really know what to look for in terms of what might be missing from CC. I know I have heard a lot of recommendations here for CW, but I found the three manuals to be a little awkward. I like the way logic seems to be incorporated into writing in both these programs, and that they progress through high school. I am not good about putting together my own lessons, or about planning a lot in advance, so I need a program that is clearly laid out in a "do the next thing" sort of way.

My ds will be finishing WTII mid-fall of 5th grade, and I'm considering spending a few months doing one of IEW's books, maybe Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales, before we move on to CW or CC (or stay with IEW, if that turns out to be amazing!)

Any information/experiences with Classical Composition will be greatly appreciated!

Well, I purchased CC used just before CW came out with their IG & workbooks. First off, I didn't like CC visually which means for me, there's not a big chance I'm going to use it. The second issue I had was the use of the progymasmata terminology. CC is written for classroom use, and that's exactly the feel I got from it, so I sold it.

You can view CC samples here: http://www.classicalcomposition.com/index.php?page=fable-curriculum-sample

Shortly after I sold CC, CW came out with their IG & workbooks. I purchase Aesop B, and I haven't looked back. CW is a great fit for me and our homeschool. My boys have shown improvement in their writing not only with the CW assignments, but in other subjects too. I'll continue CW as long as they keep releasing the higher levels.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful to me. I hadn't realized that this program was primarily for classroom use, and I can see how that might make it a bit unwieldy for a homeschooler. I guess I should really just suck it up and accept that there doesn't seem to be a classical writing program that is like CW but easier to use for fifth grade and up!

• 1 year later...
Thank you so much! This is very helpful to me. I hadn't realized that this program was primarily for classroom use, and I can see how that might make it a bit unwieldy for a homeschooler. I guess I should really just suck it up and accept that there doesn't seem to be a classical writing program that is like CW but easier to use for fifth grade and up!

I like CC for the upper grades. It can be used at home without difficulty. I haven't seen all their levels, but I prefer it to CW. Sorry I don't have more time to write about it now. Will try to post more later.