Menu

Recommendations for Writing?

jlharpair

Good morning :)

My 9yo son will be entering 4th grade this year and up to this point we have not done any writing. I was wondering what everyone else uses? I've looked online at Writing with Ease, Writeshop Primary, 1st Language Lessons and a couple of others. We already have a grammar program, it's the compostition/creative writing that we need to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you :)

Jenny

Hi!

I'm only going to be a little bit helpful, b/c I've only gotten as far as ordering what we'll use for writing this year. But maybe this post will move yours up the list and someone who actually knows what she is doing will provide some better advice.

This is for my reluctant-to-write-anything second grader, BTW, but most of these seem to have ranges of ages that apply up to 4th at least.

I looked at Winning with Writing (the new one from the Growing with Grammar people), WriteShop Primary, PAL writing, and Writing with Ease. My DS struggles with the mechanics of writing and *hates* workbooks. So while Winning with Writing is getting rave reviews, I worried that the workbook format would irk him. And WriteShop seemed awfully crafty for us (glue sticks and a pre-printed 3-D map are as crafty as I get). PAL writing just seemed like too many moving parts. Since you've got a fourth grader, would IEW be something you could use? People seem to rave about it...

Anyway, I finally decided to order Writing with Ease, level 1. I'm hoping that the weekly copywork (which I was avoiding before I saw how easy the sample page are) will show him that writing isn't so bad, and will give him more practice than he's getting with HWOT, with just a few letters per day.

People here and on the homeschoolreviews.com board rave (for the most part) about WWE and the benefits of copywork/dictation/narration. So we are taking the plunge!

Hopefully this is at least a little bit helpful. Best of luck!

christina

Good morning :)

My 9yo son will be entering 4th grade this year and up to this point we have not done any writing. I was wondering what everyone else uses? I've looked online at Writing with Ease, Writeshop Primary, 1st Language Lessons and a couple of others. We already have a grammar program, it's the compostition/creative writing that we need to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you :)

Jenny

First Language Lessons (FLL) is a grammar program, so you probably won't need that. I'm not familiar with Writeshop Primary. We use WWE, and it's been really great for my DDs. I mean REALLY great. They have come on in leaps and bounds.

What Grammar program are you using? Some of them have quite a bit of writing integrated into them.