Menu

Crosspost: Has anyone here used DIVE Math?

HSMom2One

We are big fans of TT at our house, but recently I ran into information online and at the hs conference this summer about DIVE Math that has been very compelling. I'm all for using more than one program over the years as a student studies and progresses, especially since learning from different teachers broadens one's perspective. As much as we like TT, I'm not opposed to using DIVE if it works well in meeting dd's needs.

From all appearances DIVE Math seems like a solid program. And since I have to rely on others for math instruction, I like the idea of the video teaching for each lesson. (I do realize that Saxon also offers video instruction, but I'm really feeling pulled toward DIVE.) Dr. Shormann seems to be a brilliant man and a very dedicated teacher. His Christian worldview is a good fit for our family, so that is a bonus. The only drawback is the use of Saxon math, which we didn't enjoy in the past, but I am willing to go back to Saxon if Dr. Shormann's teaching is effective enough.

Any feedback from others here? I'd love to hear how it went for your family if you'd be willing to share.

Thanks and God bless,

Lucinda

P.S. As a side note comment - I sure wonder why we can't have solid math instruction on video by a female teacher for girls that need a woman role model and someone feminine to relate to. Wouldn't that be awesome?

We've used it in recent years . . . mainly for Saxon 87 and up. My little guy that was doing 54 last year just processed information better by reading than watching/listening so the 54 disk didn't get used much.

My older kids think it is a good thing - I'm not saying they love it or anything - but they usually watch it for each lesson and then do their work. I've made it an option. They can either read the lesson in the book or watch the DIVE or both. That way they can choose what is the most effective use of their time. Usually they watch the lesson. I've noticed that my two oldest boys do skip the DIVE lesson during the beginning of a book when there is review but usually on new material they prefer to watch the DIVE. My daughter, who isn't as mathmatically inclined, always watches her DIVE lesson.

My two oldest kids did TT for one year and they prefer the teaching on DIVE over the teaching on TT. They always complained about the voice on TT.

Thanks so much for your reply, Kinsa! Everything you said was so helpful. I'm not interested in using the DIVE disks with any other program. I realize that the switch will have to include Saxon, but my dd and I have been discussing this for the past couple of days, looking at the various choices and we just keep coming back to DIVE. I'm pretty sure we've made up our mind to switch from TT to Saxon w/DIVE. Your post helps solidify that decision.

I still believe that TT is an awesome program, and I'd recommend it to anyone that needs help with math instruction. I just feel that my dd needs more reinforcement, so we are going to give this a try. If it isn't a good fit, we will go back to TT and try to supplement somehow.

Blessings,

Lucinda