Menu

PH Science Exp. Interactive Textbook CDROM

I have just seen this textbook CD Rom advertised for sale and was curious if anyone here is familiar with it. Is this in fact "the book" on cd rom or is it just bits and pieces? I have looked at PH website and it really doesn't give any helpful info regarding this - at least none that I can find.

So, if any of you that use PH Sci. Exp. could enlighten me I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Peggy in Va

I can tell you on Wednesday. :) I purchased it recently from PH for $1.25, and Fed Ex says it will be here on Wednesday.

PS -- I just noticed you are in VA, if you are near Hampton Roads you are welcome to stop by and explore it with me!

I just noticed where you mentioned this in your other post re: PH.

It would be great if you could let me know what's on it. I already have the whole series but I have a friend that might be interested in this. Even better, if it's the text and my friend doesn't want it, perhaps I'll buy it so my dss doen't have to "share" (heaven forbid) a book.

Thanks for the invite - it would be nice to see it in person but I'm at least 3 or 4 hrs no. of you in the No. Shenandoah Valley.

Peggy

Peggy, who is the publisher of this CD-ROM?

THis might fit the bill of what I've been searching for.

Thanks!

It is listed on Prentice Hall's website in the Science Explorer Section. That's really the only info. I have right now.

Here is a link to PH http://phcatalog.pearson.com/program_multiple.cfm?site_id=6&discipline_id=808&subarea_id=5383&program_id=21981

Hope this helps - but again, they really don't tell you much about it.

Peggy

OK -- I have received the rest of my materials from Pearson, including the CD-Roms. It appears they are $16.97 if you buy them on their own (16 different ones), but it lists it for $1.25 with textbook purchase. In another thread, someone shared that she was able to order it onilne at this price without purchasing the text.

It came with an Installation Disc and a Resources Disc, with links to download Shockwave. The publisher was even considerate enough to make them Win/Mac, which is great for families like mine who use both.

The Resources Disc contains:

1. Interactive Textbook - This is the whole textbook, diagrams and all. The key words are also hyperlinked, so when you click on the word a window pops up with its meaning.

2. Student Worksheets - The entire Guided Reading Workbook is included (no answers), so you can print sheets as needed. Now, the workbook itself is only $3 and has 60 pages, but with the CD I can print extra copies for extra students, I only have to print the pages we are actually doing, and I can put the printed pages into a notebook along with our lab sheets, rather than having a seperate workbook and notebook.

3. Active Art - These are the same animations found in some of the web codes, but on the CD rather than having to access them through the internet. It includes the assesment activity at the end (we watched the animation of how a fossil formed, then at the end DS had to drag and drop the 4 pictures into order).

4. Web Resources - This takes you to the PHSchool website for that particular book which has other links and activities. http://www.phschool.com/atschool/phsciexp/2005/cells_and_heredity.html

In short -- I am amazed that I only paid $1.25 for this. I am glad I also have the textbook, as I like to be able to flip through and look at actual pages. For the younger generation though, I can see where some kids may prefer the digital version.

Colleen:

Thanks so much for passing on this information - it's very helpful.:)

OK -- I have received the rest of my materials from Pearson, including the CD-Roms. It appears they are $16.97 if you buy them on their own (16 different ones), but it lists it for $1.25 with textbook purchase. In another thread, someone shared that she was able to order it onilne at this price without purchasing the text.

It came with an Installation Disc and a Resources Disc, with links to download Shockwave. The publisher was even considerate enough to make them Win/Mac, which is great for families like mine who use both.

The Resources Disc contains:

1. Interactive Textbook - This is the whole textbook, diagrams and all. The key words are also hyperlinked, so when you click on the word a window pops up with its meaning.

2. Student Worksheets - The entire Guided Reading Workbook is included (no answers), so you can print sheets as needed. Now, the workbook itself is only $3 and has 60 pages, but with the CD I can print extra copies for extra students, I only have to print the pages we are actually doing, and I can put the printed pages into a notebook along with our lab sheets, rather than having a seperate workbook and notebook.

3. Active Art - These are the same animations found in some of the web codes, but on the CD rather than having to access them through the internet. It includes the assesment activity at the end (we watched the animation of how a fossil formed, then at the end DS had to drag and drop the 4 pictures into order).

4. Web Resources - This takes you to the PHSchool website for that particular book which has other links and activities. http://www.phschool.com/atschool/phsciexp/2005/cells_and_heredity.html

In short -- I am amazed that I only paid $1.25 for this. I am glad I also have the textbook, as I like to be able to flip through and look at actual pages. For the younger generation though, I can see where some kids may prefer the digital version.