Menu

WTM 5th gr. biology: where to find Creepy Crawlies when it's already so cold out...

My dilemma is how to do 5 weeks of WTM science using the Creepy Crawlies book at the beginning of our school year (starts this Mon. the 22nd). I live where it is already 40* F at night and will only get colder, with the ground freezing off & on in the next month, ending with it frozen solid for the winter (and then snow). I'm supposed to find a long list of bugs & tadpoles, some of which don't live here naturally... finding them in this colder weather and shipping them up here (alive) in the cold are problems. Also, the book says to make a pond in the yard to attract creatures for observation, except that would freeze soon.

I could try to start this pronto in an attempt to do it before winter, but I'm afraid we might run into issues with not finding much due to bugs starting to burrow down deep to find warmth. I could try to capture & keep as much as I can now, sustaining them in my home until we need them... but I don't want to keep fruitflies and mealworms (etc.) in my home voluntarily. Does that make me a bad science teacher? :tongue_smilie:

It would be easy to just save this for late spring (here, that's May - June), but the whole reason stated for doing this at the beginning of 5th gr. in TWTM is it leads dc through the 5 steps of the scientific method, giving valuable instruction to kids who are just starting to think critically about science. That would be my son. It says once we're comfy following the steps of the sci. method, we can move on from this book, appying the steps to other topics & materials.

I agree with the reasoning, so it's hard for me to think of saving this book for the last bit of 5th gr. WWYD?

I'd start Creepy Crawlers and do some of it without stress until things freeze up. If that is none of it...then that's fine.

I would find another source to use for the scientific method.

In the Spring, if the scientific method never got covered with other sources, or if you can't wait to do Creepy Crawlers, then pull the book out again.

Or if in the middle of Winter, if you WANT to bring some life into the house with some eggs or other mail order options, then go for it.

Creepy Crawlers isn't worth stressing over.