Menu

Milk or Formula!?

Organic, whole milk (1 gal) cost me $6.99 on Monday. :001_huh:

I said to DH, "It's almost cheaper to keep the baby on formula than it is to buy milk." She's 1 yo.

Formula costs me $13 for a 2lb can (store brand) . It makes 242 fl oz of formula. That's approx. 2 gallons, right?

Organic, whole milk (1 gal) cost me $6.99 on Monday. :001_huh:

I said to DH, "It's almost cheaper to keep the baby on formula than it is to buy milk." She's 1 yo.

Formula costs me $13 for a 2lb can (store brand) . It makes 242 fl oz of formula. That's approx. 2 gallons, right?

one gallon equals 256 fluid ounces (8 ounces per cup; 4 cups per quart = 32 oz./qt.; 4 qts. per gallon = 32 oz. X 4 = 128 ounces/gallon; 2 gallons would then equal 256 fluid ounces.

So, your whole, organic milk would cost you $13.98 for two gallons; divide that by the number of ounces (256) would give you approximately $.055 cents per ounce.

Your formula is $13.00, divided by 242 ounces; this would equal approximately $.054 cents per ounce.

Yes, there would be a slight savings. I guess it would be up to you and your dh to decide.

I'm ignorant about babies these days---would organic whole milk have advantages over regular store-bought whole milk? I suppose if the organic milk was hormone free, etc., then it probably would.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

There are many people who don't believe a baby over 1 "needs" milk OR formula.

Yep.

My son weaned off of the breast at 22 months (never had formula) and never wanted cow, goat or sheep's milk.

Then, at age four or so, he decided he wanted cold cereal with cow's milk. He still wouldn't drink it from a cup (but he ate a lot of broccoli).

Now, at fourteen, he drinks gallons of it. My concession is that I only buy BHT free milk. I don't bother with the organic milk any longer because my main gripe is the hormones, and even the major dairies and grocery stores' house brands have now gone "BHT-free".

Personally, unless I were able to buy my milk from a local farmer, I'd be questioning the "organic-ness" of it anyway. Half of the organically labeled stuff I've seen lately has come from China, which isn't known for its stellar regulatory practices.

asta

Yep.

My son weaned off of the breast at 22 months (never had formula) and never wanted cow, goat or sheep's milk.

Then, at age four or so, he decided he wanted cold cereal with cow's milk. He still wouldn't drink it from a cup (but he ate a lot of broccoli).

Now, at fourteen, he drinks gallons of it. My concession is that I only buy BHT free milk. I don't bother with the organic milk any longer because my main gripe is the hormones, and even the major dairies and grocery stores' house brands have now gone "BHT-free".

Personally, unless I were able to buy my milk from a local farmer, I'd be questioning the "organic-ness" of it anyway. Half of the organically labeled stuff I've seen lately has come from China, which isn't known for its stellar regulatory practices.

asta

Interesting. I didn't realize there could be BHT -free milk that wasn't organic. That might help the budget a great deal.

Thanks!

Interesting. I didn't realize there could be BHT -free milk that wasn't organic. That might help the budget a great deal.

Thanks!

Out here all of our milk besides WalMart is hBST free (Shamrock Farms, Safeway Lucerne, Basha's brand, etc). Look carefully at the label. Sometimes it is prominent, but other times the claim is tiny and not easy to notice. Also, Costco and Kroger are hBST free. I *think* Target is as well.

Hey! Look what I found: http://itsmorethanenough.blogspot.com/2008/04/hormone-free-milk.html So it looks like Walmart and Sams are too.

I can tell the difference in the taste. When we were visiting AZ last year I avoided Lucerne milk because of the bitter aftertaste. Then when we returned, dh bought a gallon on the way home from work and not wanting to complain I drank some with dinner. Lo and behold, it tasted like milk. I got to looking and found the hbst-free statement on the label.

Barb