Menu

Help! Music composition curriculum?

I have been asked to teach music composition to two students in our co-op. I have a BA in music, but I only took one composition course, and have no idea where to begin with teaching high school aged kids this subject. I will only have two students: both are motivated, one has some LDs and has struggled with music theory, the other has no problem with theory.

The previous teacher for this class used the "For Dummies" book for music composition. By the end of the year (only thirty 30-minute class periods), each student had completed a one-line composition for his/her own instrument. I can do that if all else fails, but I wondered if there was something else out there. I am willing to put my own course together but I don't know where to start.

Any music folks out there who can help me? I have two weeks to pull something together.

:willy_nilly:

TIA

this may be simpler than what you're looking for but my youngest used these books with his piano teacher when he was 9-10 years old. i think they are geared toward younger kids, but if it's beginning composition, i don't think it would matter on the age. he used just the 1st 2 books.

young composer's notebook - a student's guide to composing

the above link takes you to a page on the site, click on music history and composition to find the young composer's notebook series!

Edited by 2J'sMom
add note regarding link