Menu

Help w/9th grade

I need some help ironing out my dd's 9th grade plans. I am having some problems and am struggling with thinking/focusing. Can you wonderful ladies give me some feedback?

• Algebra 1 (Teaching Textbooks) 1 credit
  • Biology w/labs (Abeka) 1 credit
  • American History (SL Core 100) 1 credit
  • Bible (our own plan)
  • PE (C25K and other various activities) 1 credit
  • Spanish 1 (FLVS) 1 credit
  • Art Appreciation (outside class) .5 credit
  • Choir/Drama/Piano/Life Skills (not sure how to document/assign credits yet)
  • English 1 (Literature selections, finishing up a couple lessons in WriteShop1 and moving into WriteShop2, Apples: Spelling drills for secondary students) 1 credit

Vocab questions:

I have the following resources for vocab: Wordly Wise, Critical Thinking Word Roots Level A, Rummy Roots game, and I also have Analogies 1 (from reading the intro, it also looks like more vocab). This is not my "academic" child and I do not want to overwhelm her. I'm thinking maybe do the analogies to help with her thinking/processing issues and to also cover vocab then add in the Word Roots from Critical Thinking and play Rummy Roots together. (save Wordly Wise for next year, maybe?)

Critical Thinking questions:

I have The Thinking Toolbox, Mind Benders B1/B2, Get Me Out of Here, and Logic Spiders Software all from Critical Thinking. (does Analogies count as Critical Thinking too?) Could we use the software from Critical Thinking and the Analogies book and maybe use Thinking Toolbox next year?

It's just starting to look overwhelming and I'm having trouble thinking my way through this. Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Patty

Looks like a great plan to me! Since I see FLVS as part of your plan, I'm assuming you live here in Fl. Brilliant aren't I? :D Anyhowdy-did you know that you can list Bible 1 and Bible 2 on the transcript and count each for 1/2 a credit? It's acceptable even in public school-they have it right on the Fl. dept. of education website.

My son plays the guitar and I know that he can earn up to 4 credits for that, listed on the transcript as guitar 1, 2, etc. My guess is you can award the same thing for any instrument, provided the child is actually putting in the time and effort to earn them.

We also have a Critical Thinking credit here in Fl.

Sounds like you're going to have a great year!

I forgot to address your questions.

I, like you, have many resources for critical thinking and vocab. I just pick the one I think he's most ready for right now and have him work through them one at a time ( one for critical thinking/logic and one for vocab). Doing the others next year will be perfect.

Rummy Roots is our favorite! We've learned more root words that way than any other!

Melanie, yes, we are fellow Floridians! This is the first class she has taken with FLVS. It's not her favorite and someone did give me Rosetta Stone to use as a back up. I really want her to stick with it. Both of my inlaws in are poor health and I am needed a lot to help them and I am still needed a lot with my 2nd grader.

Thanks for letting me know about Piano credits. She was part of the youth drama team at church last year and will continue with it this year, so I need to look into that. She participates in the youth choir as well and I know he is teaching them some theory, etc--maybe a full credit after 4 years?

Thank you for the encouraging words. I felt like I was drowning and was having trouble muddling through it all!

:) Patty

You can give her a credit in fine arts for the drama. Yes-she should have at least 1 credit at the end of 4 years. I love how we homeschoolers can spread out a credit if we need to! I do the same thing with history. We're required to have an American History credit and a World History credit. We do chronological world history and include american history in that of course so, in the end, he'll earn those 2 credits and more.

My son is in 10th grade this year so we just finished doing much of what you are this year. Hope you have a great year!