Menu

Any recommendations for a child who struggles with vocalic r's?

rafiki

I had looked at this before and was wondering if it works well. Can you give any more information?

Thanks!

Nicole

A great resource is the "Entire World of R", which breaks down r's into several areas. We've used their flip books and some of their cards. They also have very specific screening forms and training materials. http://www.sayitright.org/EntireWorldofR.html

Merry, Have you by chance used any that "just" cover the vocalic R's? That is his only challenge, but it's a big one. He also has overactive saliva glands and a high palate. The cards I linked above ended up being a flop, because he can't even get the "grrrr" sound out. Do you have any tips specifically on teach that since the other vocalic R's build off of it?
We had more than "just" vocalic r's going on. Several R's gave ds problems when he was younger, but slp told me that fell within "normal" for his age. Ds's speech problems cleared up quickly once we did LiPS (and with extensively practice of common words that he had mispronounced for years.) I have others with r problems, but it's still technically within "normal" for their age so I haven't done too much with their r's either.

That website has tons of great information and products specific to r's. There's an "Ask Mrs. R" link that might be able to answer that question http://www.sayitright.org/Ask_MrsR_vocalic_R.html

Here's an article on r's at Mommy Speech Therapy by the woman who wrote the program that you might find helpful. http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?p=1116

Edited by merry gardens

I had looked at this before and was wondering if it works well. Can you give any more information?

Thanks!

Nicole

The screening forms come with picture cards for all the various sounds of r in all the various positions. It helps identify which specific r causes trouble. We also have their flip books for all the r's and a few other sounds too. Those flip books provide easy and fun way to construct sentences using the sounds in beginning, middle or end of words. By having the subject, verb and preposition phrases separate, the user can create even more sentences, (plus flip books provide some novelty.) I don't have any of their games except for the game boards that you can print off for free, but they make lots of games to elicit the sound in a single word.