Menu

Who has America the Beautiful from Notgrass

dancer67

Dd8 is using this right now independently. She is happy with it but I feel I have to clarify a couple things.

She dislikes history with the exception of mythology. She did mythology to death last year though so I felt I needed to get her something for this year that wasn't mythology, ancients or medieval, all of which she has done. She hadn't done America history since 4th grade in ps so I thought a nice overview would be good before starting high school.

These were my criteria:

1. A few literature selections but nothing tied directly to the lessons (as in can't move on with the lessons unless you've read up to page so and so).

2. Primary source documents included so I wouldn't have to look those up myself.

3. Included writing assignments.

4. Mapwork included.

5. Could be done in 30-45 minutes a day.

6. Independent

7. As close to secular as possible.

These were her criteria:

1. No historical fiction.

2. Textbook format.

3. Independent.

4. Interesting but not overwhelming.

So most of our criteria is met with this program. The writing assignments are of a creative nature so we are just discussing those orally so I can make sure her wheels are turning and that she is thinking critically\logically about things. She likes that the information is presented in an interesting way and doesn't get into too many minute details. She isn't crazy about the literature but it is manageable. She said that the inclusion of the primary source documents is pretty interesting too and was something she hadn't been exposed to before. The mapwork and timeline aspect help her pull the information together without either being overbearing. She said that the whole program is short and sweet.

I don't know how I would feel about this program if I had a student that was super interested in history...I don't know that it would be enough for them, however it is a program that certainly could be customized to fit the needs of your student. As is, it fits our needs perfectly.

Well, my daughter hated history. So textbooks are out of the question. The only thing I have been able to get her to do is read some things from a text, then read real books. But not sure that is enough. She is in the middle school years, and I think it is time to get more in depth. That is, if I can get her to do it.

She really wants to study World War 2.But I really do not want to spend a while year on just that, even though there is so much about it, you probably could.

We started this yesterday with my 6th and 2nd grader. I think it will be fine, but it is not the meatiest history program out there. Also, the author's constant direction, in the text, to "note" something or another about the pictures and illustrations drives me batty. It makes the text seem very amateurish, but I keep reminding myself that the fact that I find it silly does not mean that my children will.

I do like that there are chapters on various national parks or natural wonders, interspersed among the history chapters, but some elements of American history are, in my opinion, very lightly addressed: the Civil War, for example. Also, a previous poster wanted something as secular as possible, and I cannot imagine that this would fit the bill. Chapter 2, about the earliest settlers, says that "Noah's descendants" crossed the land bridge over the Bering Sea to get here. I do not believe that one bit but can deal with it, but if you are adamant about a secular program, this isn't it!

The overall tone is very, well, glossy. I have not yet read the entire two volumes, of course, but I will be shocked if I find much about child labor in the textile mills or mistreatment of slaves or any other negative aspects of American history. I think many textbooks go too far in the opposite direction, but this one may be too cotton candy for my tastes. For middle school, at least, this would be American History Light. That is what I wanted this year, actually, so I think it will be fine for us, but even I am supplementing with some additional activities for my sixth grader.

Terri

I haven't started it yet but I've been looking over it and I like it a lot. It's for my 8th grader to do independently and I think it is going to fit the bill perfectly. She's already doing CC Challenge program and a Writing Class taught by a local homeschool mom so she's already got a fair amount on her plate.

I wanted a straight forward one year American History program for her that she could do mostly independently. She hasn't had that before and I feel she needs it before she gets into high school next year. I'm going to have her skip the creative writing assignments because she is already heavy on writing from other programs. I purchased both the student workbook and lesson review and I think it will depend on her other coursework how much we use those. She is dyslexic and tends to be a slow worker so we'll see how it goes.

When I compare it to the Social Studies she got at PS last year this is so much more in depth. They spent most of their time watching movies.

We are using this to "flesh out" our Time Travelers studies from Homeschool in the Woods (along with parts of Guesthollow's Am. History 2 and WP American Cultures). I have a 5th and 8th grader. It's going well so far, but it isn't the ONLY thing we are using.

I am using this with my 5th and 7th graders this year. My 5th grader can barely stomach history and it is enough for him, in fact it is to much lol.

It is light for my 7th grader, but like others have said that is what i wanted.

All of the reasons the others have listed for purchasing this curriculum are why I purchased it and it is perfect for us this year.