Menu

Should I choose Essential Math or Rightstart A?

dlpardo

I have been hemming and hawing for weeks trying to decide which math program to buy. I guess I could get both and try match up the subjects. I like Essentials because it seems really simple. It is hard to ignore all the positive reviews for Rightstart though. If anyone has any info that will make this decision easier please comment.

Thanks in advance!

I started RS A with my ds when he was newly 5, and though it was fun for both of us, it was very teacher-intensive, and I couldn't imagine doing it with more tha one child. Also, my ds didn't seem to need such a totally hands-on approach, in fact it was a bit distracting for him. We switched to Sinagpore and have been very happy. Younger dd is halfway through the first Essential Math book and really likes it. We're doing it very casually, just 2-3 days a week. For the vast price diference, RS just didn't seem necessary for our family.

RS A was too much manipulatives and too much teacher prep for me. I switched to Singapore EM K, and DS and I have both loved it. We just finished book A this week.

I say look at your own teaching style and see which one matches you best. Both are good, solid programs.

I just posted about wanting to switch from Rightstart to Math Mammoth because I've realized how much I don't enjoy teaching it after I started teaching Level B this week. It's just a LOT. I think I would still do Level A again, because I do think it gave her a great start, but I'm not sure I want to continue with Level B. It seems a lot of people get some Rightstart burn out going on around level B or C, so take that into consideration when making your decision.

It seems a lot of people get some Rightstart burn out going on around level B or C' date=' so take that into consideration when making your decision.[/quote']

I'm not sure it's burnout - I think a lot of people just flat out don't like Level C after loving A & B. But those same people always say they would do A & B again in a heartbeat. They always go on and on about the phenomenal foundation their kids have gotten thanks to RS.

I do both with my DD5. We went through Essentials A fairly quickly. When actual addition & subtraction began, we slowed down to supplement with RS A. The abacus has been a great manipulative, and the games are also great. For RS B and SP1 I will continue to follow Singapore but fold in the RS abacus activities and games.