Menu

Best (closest to the original) performance of Twelfth Night available on Netflix?

I don't know if it's on Netflix or not, but my library has a stage version directed by Kenneth Branaugh from a series by Rennasance (sorry about the spelling, its early) Productions. The one starring Helena Bonham Carter has some dialogue cut but is true to the story, had a fabulous cast and is very funny.

The one with Helena Bonham Carter is dd's favorite too, and she used to be an absolutely ferocious stickler for the "original" text and wanted only Elizabethan-era stagings.

Don't know which is "best", as I've only seen the 1980 BBC "filmed for TV" version. It was fine.

A fabulous spin-off, a MUST-SEE -- if it EVER comes onto DVD -- is the Broadway musical "Play On" -- set in 1920s Black Harlem, to the music of Duke Ellington, who is the "Duke" character in this absolutely fabulous version. Not only did I see this on PBS when it was aired years back -- I saw it in person when the Broadway cast traveled to our city -- incredible! The only thing I can find are these YouTube clips: this and this and

and

A fabulous spin-off, a MUST-SEE -- if it EVER comes onto DVD -- is the Broadway musical "Play On" -- set in 1920s Black Harlem, to the music of Duke Ellington, who is the "Duke" character in this absolutely fabulous version. Not only did I see this on PBS when it was aired years back -- I saw it in person when the Broadway cast traveled to our city -- incredible! The only thing I can find are these YouTube clips: this and this and
and

This sounds fabulous!!!

I've seen the 1980 BBC and the Helena Bonham Carter version (which I always think of as the Ben Kingsley version... lol...) and while I think the BBC version stuck closer to the original script, the Helena Bonham Carter version was just so much fun that I didn't care they dropped a little bit. (And it really is a very little bit!)

Netflix has -

Twelfth Night(1996) PG

Twelfth Night: Live from London(2005) NR

Twelfth Night(1980) NR

Alec McCowen, Trevor Peacock and Felicity Kendal star in this BBC production

Twelfth Night(1969) NR Oscar winner Alec Guinness and Academy Award nominees Ralph Richardson and Joan Plowright.

Twelfth Night(1988) NR

Filmed for British television

Don't know which is "best", as I've only seen the 1980 BBC "filmed for TV" version. It was fine.

and

What GREAT clips! Thanks -- I ordered the soundtrack from the Broadway version for dd for Christmas. Lucky you, to have seen the musical!