Menu

Singapore Math and TG??

pocjets

I highly recommend the Home Instructor's Guide (HIG). I thought I would easily teach these early years of basic math without the HIG but after some discussion on this topic on other threads, I went ahead and bought it. I'm glad I did. This seems to be the book that really imparts the core of the philosophy of the Singapore method of teaching math. There is a lot of guidance about how to teach the concepts using various manipulatives.

Another member on the board, Spy Car, has a lot of good things to say in this same vein. You might search for his comments if you need additional info.

Pam

My advice is to get the Standards Edition Workbooks and Textbooks and the Home Instructors Guides (which are much less expensive than the Teachers Guides).

Then get the Intensive Practice books from the US Edition series and the CWPs.

These last two might the done in conjunction with the "core" books, or somewhat behind, depending on the student.

If you think you have a child who will not thrive on more challenging work and might need "more" basic work (work on the same level as the "core" Workbooks and Textbooks) then you could scratch the IP books and get the Extra Practice books from the Standards Edition. Otherwise, the IP books add an additional level of challenge to the Singapore program.

The CWPs, if started early (and in Level One the math is simple) and done consistently, will introduce plenty of bar-diagram experience from a young age, so they will won't be shocked come 4th or 5th grade when the problems start to get hard.

Take some suggestions in the HIG (such as needing to have all the math facts memorized before moving on) with a grain of salt, but they are with having IMO.

Best wishes.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Great! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer and explain. I do appreciate it!

It can be confusing with all the books and different versions, and what not.

I was in the same boat once myself and people helped me out when I needed it. You will find that there is no unanimity of opinions about anything on this forum (understatement alert :D). What books to use in the Singapore series are no exception. I feel confident that the books I mentioned will give you a nice complete rounded package.

It is a terrific program and I hope you enjoy it!

Bill