Menu

Spelling recommendations?

I feel like I'm a bit of a "retread" homeschool mom right now. This is my 6th year homeschooling, but I'm only homeschooling one - in 1st grade. My other two are back in school - 6th grade and 9th grade.

Anyway, my 1st grader is an advanced reader. I struggle to keep her challenged with reading - last year, I would start a Sonlight read-aloud and find later she had snuck in to read the ending because she couldn't wait. I didn't bother with the Core K or 1 readers - I started with the Level 2 readers last year and we'll be doing the advanced readers this year.

So, I'm not sure what to do for spelling. I'm going to do FLL 1&2 for her - I found that part-way through my son's 1st grade year 5 years ago and loved it. But she need some spelling curriculum and I'm not sure what. This past year, I just researched different word lists online and gave her activities such as refrigerator magnets, alphabet stampers, sidewalk chalk, etc.

Anyway, for my advanced reader who I'm doing FLL with, what do you recommend for Spelling. I don't think she's ready for Sequential Spelling just yet, although she will use that when she's a bit older.

I appreciate your help -with only a 1st grader, I feel like I'm almost starting over!

Well, is she a natural speller, or does she need direct spelling instruction? I learned that (despite my previous notions) that reading well does not always lead to spelling well.

We really like AAS for direct encoding instruction using a very systematic phonics approach. If you have a natural speller she might not need instruction OR you could take a look at Spelling Power.

My 2nd grader is going to do Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure. If your child is advanced, perhaps that would work? It's not terribly expensive either. We are doing MFW this fall, and this is what came recommended before Spelling Power in 3rd, so we are going to try it.

We have not used it yet, though, so perhaps someone who's used it will chime in?

I have not BTDT yet so take this for what it's worth.

I also have an advanced reader. I'm currently using the Sonlight Grade 3 booklist (along with other booklists and picture books) for my daughter (almost 5) as her "for fun reading" in addition to our other curriculum. I have looked into all kinds of writing options and I decided that we are going to start Phonics Road this year (after I finish our handwriting program in a few weeks). I have FLL, but I really liked the idea of AIO with PR for no gaps. I also like that there will be application of skills in all areas of LA. For example, in level 1 we will be working on handwriting while working on spelling. If a child is learning to read they would focus on that also. If they already know how to read, then they are still working on the other two skills and learning how to mark words. PR Level 1 is said to be the equivalent of AAS 1-3. I like that after the first year we can start the Little House Lit study for PR2 and PR2 will build on PR1. If you don't want an AIO or want to go slower with less writing, then I would suggest doing AAS. I love the idea of AAS. I like that it is scripted and the tiles will be helpful for children who do not like handwriting. FLL is also good for limited handwriting and getting in the memorization. HTH Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

I like AAS as well as it is very thorough and the lessons are all laid out for you. I am finishing up 1st grade and am now half way through level 2. My ds loves the tiles and struggles or rather doesn't like to do the writing as much as he likes the tiles.