Menu

LOF Algebra - do I need the home companion?

Cindyg

We've done the whole LOF series: Fractions through pre-algebra. We like and *get* Fred. We are using it as a supplement to BJUP, and we keep the LOF lessons short and sweet.

I understand that the series is different when you get to Algebra, and at this point, the author offers the home companion books.

Is the home companion book intended to bulk up Fred or is it a necessary TM?

Are the answers in the regular book like they are in previous books, or are they only in the Home Companion?

Unless you are using it as a supplement, you need the Home Companion. It contains additional problem sets, study guide, and answer keys.

Moira,

We are using it as a supplement.

:D

We don't want extra problems. We want Fred-lite. But we do need the answer key.

Are you saying we won't have the answers unless we buy the home companion?

Correct, the text doesn't contain a complete answer key. The "Your Turn to Play" sections of each chapter have complete solutions, as does one of the "City" problems sets in each grouping. Some other City sets have some answers. I'd thought a solution booklet was available for $6, but I don't see one on the website. It's possible I was confusing it with the texts without Companions.