Menu

Legs - When to be concerned and when not?

I am developing a *nice* web of spider veins on my legs. Aside from not being pretty, is this something that needs medical attention? Can this become something more serious like vein thrombosis? Both my mother and grandmother had the same thing going on - evidently genetic.

I don't think spider veins are supposed to be concerning. I also think you are right that they are genetic. More of a cosmetic problem I believe. It's the big, gnarly and knobby varicose veins that are supposed to be problematic---but I think only if they ache. Do you get cardiovascular exercise every day? I have genetic VERY poor leg circulation, and I have found that exercising daily since I was about 15 has saved my legs from being super veiny like other family members at my age.

Some things that may help.

Horse Chestnut Extract - that contains 50-90 mg of aescin, 2-3 times a day. Avoid if pregnant, or suffering from liver/kidney disease. Horse Chestnut Extract prevents and treats varicose veins. Aescin tones floppy vessels.

500 mg once a day

Eat a diet rich in Vitamin C and bioflavonoids (found in the white pith of citrus fruits). Or take 1000 mg 3 times daily, to strengthen blood vessels and capillaries. Purplish-blue fruits, such as blueberries and plums are especially rich in natural antioxidants. Can also supplement with grapeseed extract, citrus bioflavonoids, or vitamin C.

Elevate your legs above your heart regularly throughout the day.

If you experience any pain or tenderness in the veins, see your doctor to rule out the possibility of vein thrombosis (blood clot), which could break loose and block blood flow to vital organs like the lungs, heart, or brain.

Legs-up-the-Wall Pose

ViparitaKarani_248.jpg

Foods rich in Vitamin K – dark leafy greens – spider veins can signal a vitamin K deficiency

Dry body brushing helps with circulation, regular massage and rebouding should help also.

CAUSES:

Prolonged standing

Too much sun exposure

Pregnancy

Menopause

Heredity