Menu

Out of all subjects, history and science...

TwoToSchool

...are most definitely the toughest to choose! I am certain i'm over analyzing each curriculum out there and definitely have my expectations a bit high but by gosh, after 3 months I still can't decide! DD will be in 4th and DS in 2nd. Neither have an ounce of history (thanks public schools:001_huh:) I've decided that I may just...gulp...create my own history curriculum. I'm looking at purchasing the book series on US history "The story of US" and beginning with the first book, slowly working our way through. I can supplement with other books on our presidents, dvds from the library and field trips to the museum. I already have purchased a few fun workbooks regarding our presidents and states (ties in with geography) My question is...Will this be enough? I feel like there should be some writing or tests or something...but that could just be my public school mentality seeping through. If I covered this type of US history for the next two years, would it be safe to move on to world history after that? Obviously my kids would revisit US history in much later grades more in depth but 'd like to start somewhere. To be honest, The story of the World and Childrens story of the world just doesn't appeal to me and I can't fathom starting world history before US history.

Then, as far as science; I really like Neo science and Real science for kids. I could easily put my 4th grader into the first level of science so that both kids could work together at one level (since neither has had much science) THe only problem I can see is that with my older DD going into 4th, it seems as if she'd never have all three areas of science completed in time to move to level 2 at an age appropriate time. I'd feel like we'd always be skipping either Physics or Chem or bio in each three year block. Am I safer to possibly treat science the same way as history? I could purchase a text book used in public school sciences for a better mix of chem, biology, earth science and physics....but is that really that important?

Doesn't general science, an entry level science, usually start in about 7th grade? There are no pre-reqs. So until then... what you do for science really doesn't matter:leaving: Pick a subject (biology or whatever) and do it and have fun! Fun for them and keeping them together for your sanity are the priorities, imo.

Same for history, really. If this is your first year homeschooling then do your plan (sounds great), and see how it goes. Consider this a trial year. During the year continue to do your research and plan what you want to accomplish with history next year based on your experience this year, be it more solid or the same as your plan, whichever you decide you like more.

You don't have to do writing with history and you definitely don't need tests.

hth!

This is also my first year homeschooling. I too have struggled with history and science (mainly science). After looking at all the history options (and samples) we decided on Tapestry of Grace. I LOVE IT!!!! I just bought the digital version and I love how I can use what I want from it. Since my DDs are 1st and 4th...with not a lot of history...we started with year 4 which is 1900-current. Plus I can easily see how to supplement other history in it.

Science was the biggest struggle. I poured over everything and could not find ANYTHING I liked. (I even bought Apologia after looking at it at a hs conference, and after 3 weeks, could not get into it.) I am a former 5th grade science teacher so I have a good idea of what I want. Of everything I have looked at, Sonlight is probably the most impressive when it comes to general science. I bought that for 6yo DD so I could really look at it this year. As for my 9yo DD, I bought the state science textbook for 4th grade and the accompanying workbook. I will create my own curriculum from this. I am going to have my 4th grader "teach" using the 1st grade SL material...then she will have her own to do as well. That will get my 4th grader caught up.

Good luck!