Menu

MUS Gamma-help!

Mommamia

I really like MUS, we have used it from Primer level and we are currently in Gamma. I'm struggling with the double digit multiplication. We are on lesson 24 and I cannot wrap my brain around how this concept is taught. If I sit for a bit and stare at the way they do the problem I can figure it out, but man...it seems complicated.

MUS users....can I just teach double digit multiplication the way I learned it (multiply up, across, carry, add, etc) or should I try and teach the way Mr Demme teaches and presents the lesson?

Is it where to write the numbers you would have learned to carry?

At first I couldn't get my head around it so I showed dd the way you describe, same as I learned in school, but then she didn't get it.:lol:

I found the problem we had was that the space in the workbook was too small, so we printed the large squared paper off the MUS website (in draft as the lines are too black otherwise). Once we had enough room and a square for each digit, we were able to work it out and I now use the same method and have taught it to all the grown ups.:D

I showed my ds both ways and he preferred the way Mr. Demme teaches it. The thing that helped us both the most was using graph paper. Also, we leave the first line blank during our multiplication process then use it for carrying our numbers when we add. This makes it much easier to see what's going on in the entire problem. We always watch the dvd's together which is also helpful.

Edited to say: Of course you can teach it the way you learned it, but when you're checking the answers in the back of the TM your work will look different than the work in the TM.

Edited by mom@home