Menu

Help! Confused over what Teaching Textbooks level to use!

5parkers

My daughter just finished up Abeka Grade 5 Math. She dislikes math, but does well in it. She hated Abeka math! So I decided to switch to Teaching Textbooks next year for 6th. She took their placement test and got all the answers right. I called them directly, and they reccommended she go directly into Math grade 7 from using Abeka 5. I guess my problem is that I don't want to push her into getting in over her head- but at the same time I don't want to spend a whole year in review. Can anyone give me any guidance on this? I would really appreciate it!

I would do as they said and go with 7. It'll start off with review then start going deeper, so I think your dd will be fine! They do some things on a different time schedule, so if they recommend it, it should work.

My dd 10/11 this school year and did the TT Pre-Algebra. The first part was fairly easy, but it got progressively more challenging. She'll be finishing up soon. She doesn't want to do Algebra 1 yet, so we're going to do R&S math next year.

Mine tested into TT Algebra with being at lesson 60-ish in Saxon 6/5.

I'm putting her in pre-algebra in BJU i think (we are going to be doing some HomeSat classes - so i might as well try it). If it doesn't work for her i'll move her to Video Text.

Give her all the placement tests and see how it does!

For some reason, TT from 7 down seems to be labeled a year ahead. What compares with other companies' 6th grade is called TT 7... TT 6 is your usualy 5th grade, etc.

I think this is part of the reason why some look down on TT and think it's not rigourous enough. They really ought to rename those courses, IMHO.

My 6th grader is finishing up TT 7 this year and it is right on par with what the local PS 6th grade seems to be doing in math. My 3d grader who got 1/2 way through Horizons 3 will start TT5 next year. It is a good program, but I agree that these particular titles are not accurate and could lead to great frustration and disappointment by users who are unaware of this "problem."

FWIW: My dd has loved using TT7. For the first time, she's enjoying her math. And, for the first time, she's retaining it!

Meredith

My 4th grader (finished Saxon 6/5) also took the TT Math 7 placement test and only missed one problem. I did not give him the Pre-Algebra test b/c I really don't want for him to take Pre-Algebra in 5th grade -- its just too soon, IMO. I am thinking that I will probably just stick with Saxon for one more year and then have him use TT Pre-Algebra in 6th grade (because we already own it).