Menu

Math Word Problems

I'm looking for a good math book that would teach how to solve word problems. I have a daughter going into her junior year and I will probably be using Saxon Algebra 2 with her. I want to get her up to speed for the SAT, and I would hope she does better than her siblings. They both couldn't do the SAT word problems very well, and therefore their math scores were low. I know my children are not below average intelligence. I'm thinking I have not made good choices with their math, or I haven't pushed them enough. I'm planning on buying the Saxon Alg. 2 and supplement it with the Art Reed dvds. In the past I haven't liked Saxon because I felt they were so formulaic to their approach to word problems. However, many of my friends use Saxon and their kids are doing great on the SAT. I wish my child could be further along in math, but this is what it is. So, I really would like a recommendation for a supplemental word problem book. I like the Singapore approach with the bar graphs, but I wish I could find something I could hand over to my dd to do on her own. She works better in a self-teaching format.

Thanks,

I purchased the math word problem books from Critical Thinking Co. So far I own Math Word Problems Book 1, Book 2, Math Word Problems Level C, and Algebra Word Problems Book 1. These are very good books, but not cheap.

I also picked up a copy of 100 Math Tips for the SAT by Charles Gulotta. My dd who took the ACT last year) and I were looking through it last night and it looks fabulous.

Hope this helps.