Menu

Secular Unit Studies for 1st-2nd grade?

Halcyon

I am looking for secular unit studies that covers, among other things, Geography, Artists, Composers, and Animals. Most of the ones I'm seeing are religious. I know there are free ones online, and I may end up making my own, but would like to know if there are secular vendors of Unit Studies, other than FIAR.

TIA.

Intellego is probably your best bet. Connect the Thoughts has several courses, but none that you listed specifically. I'll be watching this thread, though, because I need some ideas for Ariel. She loves unit studies, but decent secular ones are hard to find. Right now I'm looking at using a couple of units from Moving Beyond the Page, and possibly trying to adapt Prairie Primer to be secular.

Prufrock Press carries a number of unit studies.

Moving Beyond Page is unit study.

Although not intended as a unit study, The Kids' Book of Awesome Stuff by Charlene Brotman is definitely secular and can be used as a spine of science based unit studies.

HTH-

Mandy

Seconding (third- or fourth-ing?) Intellego studies. We were lucky enough to be given a review copy of Ancient Rome and loved it so much that we are now working on their Great Lakes study. We're looking at doing Globetrotting with Folk Tales next!

Some pros:

1. You don't have to print every single thing out, as you do with many unit studies.

2. There are many clickable links to make your job easier. I have yet to find one that doesn't work, but the customer service is so good that it wouldn't be an issue even if one didn't.

3. The unit studies work with all the different kinds of learners, because of the variety of activities within each study.

4. The index remains at the left side of the page all the time, very useful if you're like me and can't remember what you were looking at last time.

Cons?

The only one I can think of is that if you dislike having to round up materials ahead of time (and it tells you what you'll need, so you could easily add a few things to a weekly grocery list), it might bug you to have to do so.

We are big fans of unit studies and the Intellego ones are our favourites by far.