Menu

Runners - still have knee pain

I have now purchased new, good, running sneakers. I bought a knee support thing. I was reading in runners magazine about squeezing my glute muscles while I run and running "softly". I added an orthodic for arch support. I stretched. I still had pain tonight. Though admittedly there was also pain in my hip. Could that be the whole problem? Tight hips? I do tend to walk on the outside of that foot and focus on not doing that when I run.

My other question is, where does your heel hit the ground? I'm running on a treadmill and I was trying to run with better posture tonight. I was trying to have my heels land gently on the treadmill ahead of my body. I think usually they land almost underneath me. Which is correct?

If it is more of a hip problem, causing my knee to hurt, is there a specific exercise or technique I can try to fix this?

I too have knee pain when I run.

The only thing I have found that makes it totally go away is ... not running. lol.

In seriousness, it is actually generally better to have your feet land almost under you. Try shortening your stride.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html

I got the Evolution Running DVD, and in one week cut 2 minutes off my 1.5 mile time with MUCH less knee pain.

http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Running-Faster-Fewer-Injuries/dp/B000A7GEGW

I second Evolution running, or suggest finding a Chi Running seminar in your area. Heel striking is really hard on your joints.

And, yes, depending on where the pain is, tight hips (specifically the IT band) could be causing it. Runners World has some videos on kinesio taping for IT band pain. KT helped me tremendously with achilles issues.

Honestly, the worst for me was more supportive shoes. Running barefoot (or in Vibrams) is what stopped all the joint and lower leg complaints.