Menu

My 8 year old's writing. Can you take a look? Need to know where to go from here.

cajunrose

My dd8 (entering 3rd grade) has had some vision problems. We are in vision therapy with her and she is doing well and reading well finally. I'm guessing she is reading on a 2nd grade level which is a HUGE improvement over where we were 4 months ago. She is just now able to read Junie B Jones but is still choppy when she reads. So keep that in mind when you read this.

She loves creative writing. I got her some bare books to write stories in. This is her latest. I'm going to write it how she intended it to be read first. Then I'm going to write how she actually wrote it.

How it is read:

Once upon a time, a really poor girl about 17 years old lived with her mom and dad in a 3 room house. It was morning. I was so tired. I got dressed. I fell down on my bed. My alarm clock went off. I shut it off. I heard a stampede of horses.

How she actually wrote it:

Uonce upon a time. A rilly Poor girl. Obowt 17 years old. And her mom and dad and her. Livd in three rooms of a hose. it was Morning. I was so tird. i got dresst. I fell down on my bed. My alarm clock Wint of I shot it of. I hrd a stamead of horese.

Obviously she needs help with spelling and sentence structure. I love her descriptions of things though! I am doing AAS for spelling. How do I help her with structure? Will it come with just guidance, time and more reading?

Thanks

Stephenie

From the writing sample, I would work with her on complete sentences, complete thoughts. Remind her about puncuation at the end of a complete thought. The spelling will come with AAS, it is a great program. I would really focus her on using complete thoughts. The free KISS grammar program has some great exercises on identifying the subjects and predicates of simple sentences. I personally wouldn't stress over the voice or tense of the writing until she better understands how to write a complete thought. She sounds creative and I could tell she was visualizing what she was thinking. A great skill for any writer!

We love the bare books! We also get inexpensive little books of 10 from Rainbow Resource.

A year ago I wanted to improve the writing of my daughter who also loves creative writing. I decided to focus heavily on grammar, and that hard work really paid off. The thing that helped her the fastest was Growing With Grammar. It helped her see what a proper sentence was with subjects and predicates. That helped with the sentence fragments. We now just started with their new writing program, Winning With Writing. We're using Level 3 and already we've had plenty of work combining/joining sentences so they don't read so choppy. They also emphasize varying the length of sentences so they flow better when read.

I'm sure there are other grammar/writing programs that work just as well, but those are the ones that helped us out the fastest.