Menu

Duke vs. SIG summer camp

I have been very fortunate to gain so much information from this group. I greatly appreciate it.

For next summer, I am considering either Duke or SIG camp. However, I am not sure which one makes more sense. SIG is almost $1000 more expensive, but has many camps all over the country in big colleges.

I would like to hear about your experiences, and advise. Thanks.

I'm not sure what sort of summer camp you are talking about, but as a teenager (way way long ago!) I went to a "young writer's camp" for several weeks at Duke University and LOVED IT!!! It was spectacularly awesome - I still remember it with pleasure, even though it was 1/2 a lifetime ago :)

To be fair, my mom, dad & 1 brother all went to Duke - and I truly thought I would as well, way back when... sigh.

My kids, 7 and 9, just finished up at SIG camp. They absolutely loved it. I can honestly say I have never seen them that happy in a group setting. I'm not sure they learned anything though :). The camp is mostly boys, something like a 4:1 ratio, but that didn't bother my girls. The other kids were nice and they each made a good friend.

I had three goals: classroom experience, social interaction/possible friend making, and getting their minds stretched. Definitely got the first two, not sure about the third. My kids aren't the types to gush about what they've learned, unfortunately. But my feeling is that their minds remained unstretched.

Depending on the age of your kids, Duke may be a better option. I'm probably going to do SIG again next year, but my kids are young and it's still a day camp at that age. Once they are old enough to do residential, we will most likely do something like Duke, CTY, or a math camp. (if my husband can bear to let them go :D)