Menu

Talk to me about cell phones...

Mine is eligible for an upgrade and I don't know what I want. Right now I don't have a smartphone and don't know if I want the extra fees associated with owning one, but they aren't out of the running. ;) So what do you have and do you love it or hate it? What feature(s) do you like/hate about it? I'm on Verizon and won't be changing if that makes a difference.

I am on Verizon, and I have a smartphone. I will be getting another one tomorrow and extending our contract. I love having it, mainly for the internet. I can comparison shop online while I am at a store, read reviews of products, etc. It also is a great way to kill some time if you are somewhere for a long time (like the doctor's office or something) waiting. You can read books on smartphones, use it as a media player, use it as a navigation system.

I am on Verizon, and I have a smartphone. I will be getting another one tomorrow and extending our contract. I love having it, mainly for the internet. I can comparison shop online while I am at a store, read reviews of products, etc. It also is a great way to kill some time if you are somewhere for a long time (like the doctor's office or something) waiting. You can read books on smartphones, use it as a media player, use it as a navigation system.

I have a smartphone with Verizon as well. Do know that you can get and try any phone for 14 days and exchange it with no problems. However, as of July 7th, they no longer offer the unlimited data plan, so you have to see what they currently offer and what those fees would be. That being said, you can also get a feature phone and add a data package either monthly (removing it and adding it when you want) or using a limited data plan that will not cost as much $$. When we upgrade soon, we will be downgrading to feature phones, as I find my internet use is mostly fluff, and not worth the $30 plus fees monthly. We have four phones on our plan, and three smartphones, so our bill is somewhat hefty.

Thank you for the replies. Which smartphones do you have?

I have a smartphone with Verizon as well. Do know that you can get and try any phone for 14 days and exchange it with no problems. However, as of July 7th, they no longer offer the unlimited data plan, so you have to see what they currently offer and what those fees would be. That being said, you can also get a feature phone and add a data package either monthly (removing it and adding it when you want) or using a limited data plan that will not cost as much $$. When we upgrade soon, we will be downgrading to feature phones, as I find my internet use is mostly fluff, and not worth the $30 plus fees monthly. We have four phones on our plan, and three smartphones, so our bill is somewhat hefty.

What is the difference between a smart phone and a feature phone? Right now my phone is absolutely basic, open it up, dial a number.

$70.00 restocking fee just to place the stupid thing back on the shelf if you return it, even within 24 hours. :smash: Tomorrow I'll be returning the phone that, in my capacity as complete fool, I bought via upgrade this afternoon. I am so angry with myself, I could spit for hours. We did not do our homework by reading online reviews, so selected a mediocre piece of equipment. I have lost interest in a smart phone. A cell phone is for making phone calls. If I want a computer, I will go home and use this one. DH was trying to be nice to me, and I so much appreciate him. I just made a decision when I was tired, and am steamed over the non-negotiable repercussions. :mad:

Edited by Orthodox6

$70.00 restocking fee just to place the stupid thing back on the shelf if you return it, even within 24 hours. :smash: Tomorrow I'll be returning the phone that, in my capacity as complete fool, I bought via upgrade this afternoon. I am so angry with myself, I could spit for hours. We did not do our homework by reading online reviews, so selected a mediocre piece of equipment. I have lost interest in a smart phone. A cell phone is for making phone calls. If I want a computer, I will go home and use this one. DH was trying to be nice to me, and I so much appreciate him. I just made a decision when I was tired, and am steamed over the non-negotiable repercussions. :mad:

What did you get that is going back?

Forgot someone had asked . . . (sorry!)

Initially, I bought an essentially "extinct" phone -- a Motorola Devour. I thought I would fare better with a slide-out keyboard because the touchpad keyboards were so tiny and cramped as to prevent accurate data input. We were rushed because the store was closing earlier than the posted signs, and I was jangled because loud music was blaring from the store's system. . . . As soon as we got in the car, I detected that the salesman had sold me a USED case. (He said that it was new, and he charged us new price.) (The case had multiple scratches, dirty crud on the underside when I removed it, and we were given no original packaging.) That angered me. Store was closed as soon as we walked out, however. . . . Once home, I discovered that the phone was clumsy, and as mediocre as all the reviews claimed. Granted, this was my first ever smartphone; however, it did not take long to figure out the basics of use.

Went back the next evening, but salesman was not there. I returned the case, submitting a letter of explanation, in case anybody's manager needed proof.

So dh and I went together on Tuesday morning to the cross-town location where original salesman was that day. This time, everything went well. We were the only people in the store. DH asked if the music could be set to a lower volume, and the man turned it off. We had read reviews of some of the phones sold by Verizon, so had a much better idea of how to proceed. I selected a Motorola Droid X2 and am a happy camper now! Especially like that I can chime into our home wi-fi router and avoid using the required monthly data plan so long as I am home.

P.S. The touchpad keyboard on this replacement phone is large enough to work well.