Menu

IMACS or eIMACS cources?

If any of you had enrolled your child in IMACS courses which did you prefer: on-line or regular classes? What is the difference? What did you like/dislike about them?

If your child took a free aptitude test, what age he/she did it?

My child who just turned 9 took the test few days ago. We received the result and were suggested to consider eIMACS courses in about 2 years when my daughter would be a little older.

Edited by SneguochkaL

If any of you had enrolled your child in IMACS courses which did you prefer: on-line or regular classes? What is the difference? What did you like/dislike about them?

If your child took a free aptitude test, what age he/she did it?

My child who just turned 9 took the test few days ago. We received the result and were suggested to consider eIMACS courses in about 2 years when my daughter would be a little older.

My son started his first eIMACS class -- Intro to Logic 1 (math) -- this summer (first time he took the aptitude test). Although we haven't seen the material taught in the regular classes, we feel the logic that the online course teaches has been an excellent complement to his other math studies.

Ds is 13, going into 9th grade in high school and has worked through a number of the AoPS texts: Intro to Algebra, Advanced Algebra, Geometry, Counting and Probability, Number Theory, Volumes 1 and 2, and is in Precalc now. I believe having the background in AoPS helped him quite a bit with figuring out the logic problems in eIMACS.

Because my son attends high school and has other commitments, it is important he can work independently. The eIMACS online class allows him to log on and go when he has the time.

The people at eIMACS have been great to deal with, too. Students are assigned an adviser and can ask for help or explanations. My son has always received a quick response back.

Dana knows more about the differences between the regular and online classes, and she owns the texts they use for the regular classes. Maybe she'll stop by and offer her viewpoint. Also, if you search her name, you can find some of her posts about IMACS in this forum and the high school forum.

HTH. :)

Dana knows more about the differences between the regular and online classes, and she owns the texts they use for the regular classes. Maybe she'll stop by and offer her viewpoint. Also, if you search her name, you can find some of her posts about IMACS in this forum and the high school forum.

I know about the EM texts and MEGSSS courses. I don't know about IMACS courses :)

If I were in St Louis, I'd be looking into the MEGSSS program there.

I know about the EM texts and MEGSSS courses. I don't know about IMACS courses :)

If I were in St Louis, I'd be looking into the MEGSSS program there.

I live in St. Louis County, so I could do either IMACS or MEGSSS courses. My child is only 9 and will be doing primary SM and Russian math/MEP this year, so she is not ready for middle school math. We were actually looking into computer/robotics classes for her to take in a year or so and trying to plan ahead. I didn't look into MEGSSS classes yet, but was just curious about the difference between them.

What is better for math: on-line class or a regular class? For computer/ robotics course, I would choose a regular class setting with hands-on "assignments".

Any ideas/suggestions/ comments regarding this topic? Thanks for your input.

P.S. IMACS allows students as young as Kindergarten to take their classes.

Edited by SneguochkaL

Have you seen the material from MEGSSS and IMACS or met any of the teachers? Unfortunately, I don't know the difference between the two, but it's great that you have both available to you.

For a kid who enjoys learning independently, an online class can work well. You'd want to consider how the class is set up and the expected pace. For example, AoPS classes differ from eIMACS in that they cover a certain amount of work per week -- maybe a chapter or a problem set -- and tend to move quickly which could frustrate and discourage a student, especially a new one. My son was overwhelmed with how quickly AoPS moved when he took his first course (he eventually dropped it) but has taken two since then. He prefers to study the texts on his own, working in fits and spurts. Tonight he has his AoPS AMC-10 online class with AoPS, and the kids will go over the problem sets that were assigned last week. eIMACS is different in that it allows him to work on the problems when he can fit them in.

Edited by MBM
added more info

Have you seen the material from MEGSSS and IMACS or met any of the teachers? Unfortunately, I don't know the difference between the two, but it's great that you have both available to you.

Thanks for joining the discussion:)

I haven't really seen the materials yet. My daughter took the aptitude test and on the basis of which we are planning our study next year. She is primary interested in computer classes, but still too young for them. My husband and I are very good at math, so we will be able to help her with math if we decide to get just EM books for personal use. At this point I am trying to add some additional math topics such as "binaries" to our already full math curriculum. My daughter stumbled on binary topic during the test, so we know we need to add it on.

IMACS is having an Open House in our area in August/September, so I might consider going there and checking it out.

We are hoping to participate in Kangaroo Olympiad and possibly IMACS next year.

Edited by SneguochkaL