Menu

High School Students?

Does anybody on this forum afterschool a high school student?

My son, homeschooled K-10 will enter a public charter high school program associated with a community college. He'll take 4 classes in the self-contained high school program in the fall. Depending on how he does Fall Semester, he'll begin taking CC classes Spring Semester or the next semester after that.

DS is also dyslexic & dysgraphic. He'll need tutoring for writing, and needs to continue working on spelling & grammar. We have curriculum for spelling & grammar that I would like to continue. Neither is time intensive- a total of 20-30 minutes per day.

I also plan to have him continue his foreign language- Japanese- because the CC does not offer Japanese and I want him to reach at least 2nd year proficiency before he enters 4 year college, with the hope that he'll be able to waive any additional foreign language requirement.

I know we have to work around his classes & make sure he puts his priority on his classes at school. I think we can make that work. My biggest concern is attitude once he starts school. I wonder if I'll hear, "No one else has to do this, Mom. Why do I have to?"

Anyone with experience?

I have one going into high school, but I think this is the year I'll be doing much less. If I feel a subject needs to be supplemented, though, I will. For example, we might have him continue with the Latin we chose (D'Ooge) because Ecce Romani, which his school uses, is not our cup of tea.

One thing that helped me with junior high scheduling was allowing ds to design his own schedule. He would tell me what he was going to do and when, and then I let him try it out. This worked very well, and it was a whole lot easier on me.

If your son complains and you still feel you're being reasonable, maybe just empathizing would help. Sometimes kids just want someone to acknowledge their struggles.

My son's high school offers Japanese, btw. Maybe you should move here. LOL.

I have one going into high school, but I think this is the year I'll be doing much less. If I feel a subject needs to be supplemented, though, I will. For example, we might have him continue with the Latin we chose (D'Ooge) because Ecce Romani, which his school uses, is not our cup of tea.

One thing that helped me with junior high scheduling was allowing ds to design his own schedule. He would tell me what he was going to do and when, and then I let him try it out. This worked very well, and it was a whole lot easier on me.

If your son complains and you still feel you're being reasonable, maybe just empathizing would help. Sometimes kids just want someone to acknowledge their struggles.

My son's high school offers Japanese, btw. Maybe you should move here. LOL.

MBM, thanks for your response. Sorry I didn't reply before this- the last four days have been pretty intense social & medical appointment days. :tongue_smilie: I really appreciate when I can have a bit slower day.

I was really hoping we could get Japanese at school, but no go there. There might possibly be other options for getting an accredited class, but it might make better sense since he is dyslexic to have him continue to work on it at home at his own pace, then take a proficiency test just before college apps. to prove his knowledge base.

Spelling & grammar/mechanics is no sweat- those are short, sweet lessons he can crank out quickly before he starts his regular homework. The Japanese is a bit more problematic, but he's finally gotten rolling w/Rosetta Stone- we use two different programs. I think I might concentrate on Rosetta Stone (for 20 minutes at a time) as the primary curriculum on school days and maybe do the other curriculum just 2 days a week- maybe one school day and one weekend day. I won't really know until school starts how long his homework is going to take him & that will influence what we can do.