Menu

FLL WWE or WWW for Dyslexic?

1shortmomto4

We worked through WWE (level 1) last year with my dyslexic/dysgraphic ds who was in 5th grade. I was skeptical because of copy work but he loved it and did very well. I like how it trains his brain to think in complete thought. We also did Queens LL - the last book of the young ones I think (not the Elementary 1) but skipped the ancient, of old copy work - too dated for my taste. He loves picture day and dictating a story. Well, I'm trying to figure out what to do this year and really, really stuck! I have WWE 2 and would like to continue because obviously this level takes the writing skills much further but what to do about grammar and punctuation (these were two skills that he struggled with during his required state testing). Would FLL 3 be a good fit? I hate getting another Queens book and skipping so much of it but he did retain the light grammar (R&S and BJU had no retention). Is diagramming (which I haven't necessarily been a fan of) good for one with dyslexia? Would that help him more? The new Winning with Writing program looked good since it was broken down into bite-size pieces per day which has been the key in retention for my ds (a WTM/CM combo). Or should I look at something like ILL (I'm thinking the more updated version sold by Living books?). I'm not worried about grade level but rather his level - and continuous progress. If I push too hard he regresses; if I apply steady gentle pressure he moves along....

Ideas? Thoughts?

I can only speak for what has worked for my ds14 dyslexic. I haven't tried Queens, though I do have it here and my try it. We are currently "trying" Rod and Staff but grammar is sooo confusing for my dyslexic. FLL was very good for him so I would high recommend it since it has so much repetition. I also would continue with Writing with Ease. If you really wanted to try Winning with Writing, I'd maybe add in a week here or there just to see how it goes. I agree with the pushing and bite-size pieces. If I push my son, we go nowhere; if we just take it one day at a time and get a little bit accomplished, we go miles.

Oh, and diagramming..... well, I'm still out on that one. My son finds them extremely confusing and we are still only diagramming subjects and predicates. He's not at all visual though. I'm not sure if repetition with it will or help or if I should just cut my losses on it and run. I'll be happy if he just takes what he learns and applies it to his writing - forget the diagrams. :) However, I didn't learn diagramming either, so I may be biased.

I'd stick to what is working for you and only add in something extra if you really need it. Less can be more.

Good luck,

My 11 yo son is dyslexic and we will be using FLL and WWE this year. Last year we did R&S orally and WWE 2. I ended up dropping the dictation because I was spelling almost all the words for him and wasn't sure it was useful. I still think he benefited from the book though.

Not sure what you've tried for math, but we've settled on CLE after unsuccessfully trying Saxon, MUS, Singapore, and Rod and Staff. RightStart was great, but not quite right and Teaching Textbooks was pretty good but fast. CLE gives my dyslexic exactly what he needs in small pieces and he knows exactly how the lesson will go and how long it will take. He likes that.

Good luck,