Menu

How to assign science grade with lab?

I don't know how to assign my son's science grade. He took an online science course with a lab. They gave him a grade for his classwork, but the lab is just pass or fail. Don't I need a grade for that science lab on his transcript? Should I - or can I - assign a grade to him? And if so, do I average it into his class grade?

He's one point away from an 'A' in the class, and I think his lab grades could help him reach that. But I won't average them together if that isn't an acceptable practice. I just don't know how labs normally affect the overall grade.

Can someone enlighten me?

Here is how my school district does it: Science is 1 credit, Lab is 1/2 credit. On the transcript, they aren't listed Science w/lab (1 1/2 credits); they are listed Science (1 credit)

Science Lab (1/2 credit)

I did it the same way for my transcript since I'll be using my 9th and 10th grade transcript from the public school, I figured it would be less confusion.

So are the two grades the same? Can they be different?

They can be different.

They are treated as two completely separate classes.

When I did Biology and lab in 10th, Biology was a full year course and Biology lab was taken in either the 1st or 2nd semester. The students in both classes weren't always the same, and not all students had the same teacher either.

I've done it the same way except because there's only one person compared to 25 and I can coordinate with what is being learned at the moment, I do, but that wasn't how it was done at public school.

I have a B in Chemistry and an A+ in Chemistry lab. They are listed separately on my transcript.