Menu

Chalk Dust Basic or Teaching Textbooks....

BatmansWife

It's getting down to the wire now. I have to place our order through our Homebased Educational Program really soon.....so expect more posts from me in the next few days. :001_smile: You guys are gonna get sick of me (you probably already are). :tongue_smilie:

So, right not I'm trying to decide between Chalk Dust Basic Math or Teaching Textbooks. Ds is behind in math....and my main goal it to just get him caught up. Our facilitator had suggested TT. I don't know where ds is going to place in TT...so I'd have to give him several placement tests, probably. I just worry that TT will drag on and he won't get caught up fast enough. But, I don't know that for sure.

I went to the Chalk Dust website and watched the demo for Basic Math. I thought it was super. I was horrible, horrible in math when I was in school. I took one year of General Math in 9th and that was it. I was done (at the time I was like, "WhooHoo!!!" Now I'm like, "Oh yikes!"). The demo showed how to change mixed numbers to improper fractions and then do the opposite. I had no clue (seriously :blushing: ). I actually learned it! And it made sense. I'm so excited for myself. :D I'm sure I could have learned this from TT too, though.

So...what do you think? Which program could get a struggling math student up to par the fastest? Something else that's good about the Chalk Dust is that you can get his help if you ever need it (which I might). If you've used Chalk Dust Basic Math....what math prerequisites would there be? Or, does he just teach you like you really are a beginner? I hate to say this....but I think my ds would *hate* the voice(s) on TT.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

We haven't used ChalkDust, but my kiddos have used TT for the past 3 years and have done quite well with it. Pretty much all of the home schoolers I know use TT and love it! Make sure you have him do the placement tests. Most kids test into a higher level, but if you're trying to get him caught up, he might do well right at his grade level.

Sorry I can't help with ChalkDust! I don't know anyone who uses it either... :001_huh: