Menu

Put that in Writing question

I just emailed the authors to ask them about starting with level 2 for a high schooler. I will post back when I receive an answer. Hopefully you can as I have already ordered level 2. :tongue_smilie:

Here is the response that I received..............

Dear Ann-Marie,

Thanks for your interest in our materials. To answer your question, if your student has a strong mastery of paragraph writing, Level 2 should be fine. This means that the paragraphs usually do not go off topic, the transitions are very clear, and that supporting material is fully explained. The Level 2 text does begin with a very brief review of paragraphs. However, the review is not in-depth enough to lead a student to paragraph mastery.

If you would like me to, I would be happy to look at a few samples of your student's work and give you some advice as to placement. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Warmly,

Shari Barrett

www.barrettsbookshelf.com

It looks like I should receive my copy today. I am going to go ahead and have my dd go through the paragraph review then assess whether we should start with 2 or 1.

Ok, after going through my copy of PTIW 2 briefly today, I agree with the author's statement that I posted above, that a student needs to have a good mastery of paragraphs before using level 2. It really does not go into any depth on paragraphs. The 3 review units are very quick and touch only on the basics. Unit 4 starts with how you research for an essay. Unit 5 jumps right into the essay process. If you go to the author's website, all of Unit 5 is there as a sample. This should give you a good idea of the pace of level 2. There are also samples of much later units. I will be spreading level 2 out over 48 weeks, which is the typical student teaching schedule suggested by the author. I think dd will be ok starting with level 2 as we have worked with paragraphs a good bit. However, I think I will go over the basic paragraph structure again with her even before beginning the first 3 units of PTIW 2.

HTH :)