Menu

Does this exist?

So, I'm putting together a pre-k thing for my youngest because she wants to "do school" like her sister. We've begun Phonics Pathways and MEP Reception. We read. She seems to really love interactive couch time, so I was thinking of something like FLL or PLL except for a little younger. She knows her letters and sounds and is ready for a little copy work (a word or two). I want something with primarily a picture study and poems. I did look at Queen's Language Lessons for that particular age, but I wasn't sure about the religious aspect, and after a search, I wondered if it was worth the cost. other than that, it looked like exactly what I wanted. Any ideas?

I want something with primarily a picture study and poems.

You can study the pictures from the CW Primers (free downloads from lulu.com) and read/memorize the poems from A Child's Garden of Verses (free download from gutenberg.org).

Copywork can be anything of interest; I'd suggest the O-G phonograms, or Webster's syllables, or names and addresses or words from the Treadwell/Elson/McGuffey primers.

HTH

Simply Charlotte Mason has picture study portfolios that might be worth checking out, though I have no personal experience with them. At that age we looked at and discussed Eloise Wilkins' Poems to Read to the Very Young and a copy of A Child's Garden if Verses illustrated by Tasha Tudor. Copywork didn't happen until Ariel knew all her letters, and then we used Beatrix Potter for Beginners, published by Downunder Literature, which is illustrated. I think they also have more beginner things, A Blinky Bill Alphabet to begin with and some Mother Goose copywork. You can download them at Currclick if you're interested.

I don't know of an all-in-one book that contains exactly what you want, but it would be easy enough to do yourself.

For poetry:

Choose 3 books from the Poetry for Young People series, 1 for each trimester

of use the free online poetry in Ambleside Online year 1 organized by month

Or use my poetry tea time favorite The Random House Book of Poetry for Children by Jack Prelutsky and Arnold Lobel

For the littlest hands to hold my number one pick is Eloise Wilkin's Poems to Read to the Very Young.

For picture study:

Use books from the Mini Masters series by Julie Merberg

Choose 3 books from the Come Look with Me series, 1 for each trimester

My favorite for the littlest people- choose 3 art books for children by Lucy Micklethwait , 1 for each trimester

I would choose copywork from the picture books y'all are reading. If you would rather have them chosen for you, download McGuffey's Primer free online and use it.

HTH-

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN