Menu

Sonlight Core 3 for multiple children, and how does it work anyway??

5sweeties

I've been looking at Sonlight a little, but am still totally confused as to how the program actually works, and what you can achieve by using it. I've used TOG in the past, and I am wondering if the Cores are pretty much the same idea as Tapestry?? History, Literature, discussion?? What subjects, exactally, can be covered using SL cores?? I've looked at the online samples, but it still isn't sinking in.

Also, I'm wondering if it would be possible to use Core 3 for all of my younger children? They will be in 5th, 3rd (reading well above grade level), 2nd (will most likely be reading at a 3rd grade level by fall), and 1st (will be reading at 2nd grade level in the fall). Is it possible to use Core 3, for a fabulous American history course, for all of these levels? I think I am pretty good at altering for the youngers, but am more concerned about it not being appropriate for my 5th grader. On their web site, however, SL says you can use Core 3 up to 6th grade?

Also, if I choose to use SL, do I have to buy *all* of the books?? We have access to an incredible library system, so I'm wondering if I have to have the specific editions of the specific books, or if it would work to use whatever editions I can get my hands on?? (It is not a problem to get multiple volumes of the same book, for my 5th and 3rd graders. And they do read on about the same level...6th.)

I would love any and all insight on this. I have been waffling between SOTW 2 and some version of American history for my younger crew for this coming year (older dd is doing American history). I can't believe I still haven't been able to make a decision. The children love history soooooo much, that they are no help in the decision process. They just tell me they want to learn it all!

Thanks!

Hi! Since you haven't yet gotten a lot of response on this question, I would post it on the Sonlight "Choosing" section of their forums (https://www.sonlight-forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18). I haven't used Core 3 yet myself (though I have it, waiting to be used in 2010!), but I've read both these and the Sonlight forums extensively, and what I've seen recommended is NOT to do Core 3 for any child younger than 8. They say it is very low on visuals (pictures in books, etc.), and content can be too much for a younger child. I think it wouldn't be too young for your 5th grader.

As far as which subjects are covered - Core 3 is very heavy on the HISTORY (American), and you buy science, math, language arts, art, and so on separately. The IG has a lot of great discussion questions.

A lot of people rely heavily on their library, though you'd probably want to purchase the few books used consistently throughout the year.

I hope this was some help. Like I said, I haven't used it, but I do have one on hand, and if you have any more specific questions I'll do my best. (:

I am just finishing Sonlight Core 1&2 combined world history with ds9. We will be doing Core 3 next year and I will include my ds4 in most of the read alouds. The "core" includes history (with lots of geography), Bible, reading, and read alouds (which in core 3 tend to correlate with history).

You absolutely don't need to buy all the books! I make great use of my local library (where everybody knows your name...) and some things like the Indian prayer guide that are not at the library are listed as optional. I found that this year there were some optionals that didn't get used ofter (like window on the world), although you may want to have all the options on hand ...

You could probably use it as your basis for all the kids. The youngest one (or two) may need different readers, but the guide does give you a plan for regular and advanced readers in the same spot. Some stuff may go over the heads of the younger ones, but they will hear it all again if you keep cycling through history. And you can always have the oldest supplement if needed - extra writing assignments, finding more books on interesting topics, etc. There really is a good deal of flexibility within the cirriculum, esp if you remember "use the cirriculum, don't let the cirriculum use you."

HTH!

We *loved* it and continue to love Core 4 (the second half of american history). These cores include history/reading/US geography. It is all scheduled out and integrated. In addition to the daily/weekly schedules, there are also background notes on all the reading materials and discussion questions.

I think it could work quite well for your dc. Your olders could do the core as written and your youngers could listen in and/or you can alter it for them as you wish by picking up some picture books, etc at their level. The cores cover US history chronologically so it would be simple enough to pick out supplemental choices for your youngers. If I were you, I'd use the Advanced schedule for your older one (or two) dc, the Regular schedule for dc #2 & #3 and include dc #4 by reading aloud books from the core (maybe some of the "Read Alouds" -- which are tougher reading material but some are very engaging even for younger dc and/or some of the "Readers" -- which are easier/shorter) you think are most appropriate for him/her and/or picking suplpemental books/projects for him/her. I think it would be easy to do.

If you like, you can also opt to do SL LA which is tied into the reading selections from the Core but is not integral/needed. Math, Science, etc are all separate and not integrated into the Core. Core 3 does NOT include bible. (The schedule is included on your main schedule, but none of the resources are included in the purchase and I just don't use that part of the schedule.)

I used it with my older dc, who were 7 (2nd grade) and 9 1/2 (4th grade) when we started. Both are advanced/accelerated and were reading well.

One nice thing about Core 3 that makes it flexible for multiple ages is that there are two reading schedules -- Regular and Advanced. The advanced schedule includes everything in the Regular schedule plus some extras. So, I bought the advanced readers and my 4th grader did the Advanced schedule and my 2nd grader did the Regular schedule. . . Easy.

The reading materials are varied in difficulty (from maybe a 3rd to a 6th grade level) but we've found them all to be enjoyable. My older dd (now 11) finds all the reading quite easy, but the stories are excellent, even for ME. So, I simply assign her other more challenging literature to read in addition to the SL materials. My 8yo ds is appropriately challenged by the core reading, so I don't feel the need to pick him out more challenging materials to read, but he still reads other books of his own selection.

I think these are wonderful resources.

I don't think you'd have any problems using different editions, etc of the readers as the schedules typically refer to chapters, not pages. There would only be a couple books (Landmark, etc.) that are used throughout the year that you'd be best purchasing. The rest could easily be borrowed. SL has pretty good pricing and I find buying the whole Core simpler for me (and I enjoy having the books on the shelf forever), but it would work fine to get many of the books out of the library if you have a good library system.

FWIW, SL has a very generous 100% guarantee on their Cores, but I'm not sure if it applies to partial Core purchases. The Cores (esp 3 & 4) are very re-salable. It seems that you can get at least 65-70% of purchase price by reselling the lot of it if you want to do that. You could resell 3 when you want to buy 4!

The SL forums are very helpful, so post there for tips/tricks/feedback and/or call SL for personal help. They're good people and I'm sure won't steer you wrong.

Enjoy!

We're just finishing up a year of Core 3 with 5th & 3rd graders. What a great core! I'd use the advanced readers for your oldest, but yes, this will be plenty. The history spine, Landmark, is listed as a read-aloud for 5th graders & up. Your littler ones may end up tuning out during this one, but will probably like many of the other read-alouds.

I suggest getting a catalog as I think it's much easier to understand SL from their catalog. But yes, it's basically history & geography, Bible, Literature, and readers in the "core," and is basically a literature-based curriculum. The book choices are wonderful, we almost always love them.

Do know that the readers are considered part of the history for this core, so your youngest will miss out on some of the history & may want to do the core again later. You can do tag-alongs but the reading and read-aloud levels of the books are geared towards 3rd-6th graders.

My favorite core so far! HTH, Merry :-)