Menu

SSR - how much at first?

nov05mama

Since we are gearing up to start our 'new' year this coming week, one of the main things I am wanting to implement this year is SSR (Silent Sustained Reading) and I am wondering where I should start.

My DS will be 6 in a few short months, so I am wondering if I should just start out at the full 15-20 minutes of silent reading or if we should still start slow and work our way up to the full time...WWYD? Start at 5 minutes a day for the first weeks and then start adding more after a month? Or give even less time than that and move up slowly after just a week?

Part of me thinks I am over-thinking it anyway b/c it will naturally start to increase anyway, but I am just looking for some BTDT advice about how YOU started and what worked (and what didn't work) :) TIA!!!

One thing that works for us is this:

When I get my kids into their beds, I offer them the option of turning off the light or reading silently for X amount of minutes (usually like 30 minutes) and then turning off the light. The opportunity to stay up later can sometimes be a real motivator for my 7 yr old non-book-lover.

One thing that works for us is this:

When I get my kids into their beds, I offer them the option of turning off the light or reading silently for X amount of minutes (usually like 30 minutes) and then turning off the light. The opportunity to stay up later can sometimes be a real motivator for my 7 yr old non-book-lover.

Yeah, this definitely works here too! DS is allowed to stay up past bedtime with the nightlight on above his bed and read silently for a while. I haven't even really given a set time b/c he hasn't abused it (and usually falls asleep reading within like 30 min).