Menu

Is there such thing as a curriculum for an aspiring thespian?

Xuzi

Ever since we took her to see a community theater production of Suessical the Musical, my DD (almost 7) has been absolutely smitten with theater and being onstage. She'll be in a production of Snow White this Saturday, put on by a traveling theater company from Missoula, and she is loving every minute of it. (her character is "Bat #10" :lol: )

I'd like to encourage her, and of course I plan to try to involve her in more community theater as opportunities arrise in our small town, but is there anything I can do with her at home to help her possibly qualify for a speaking part? She is NOT shy and has very good memory, but I guess I'd like something that could help me teacher how how to *act* (which is something even *I* struggle with).

Is there such a thing?

Can she start performing for others? Could she recite poems with a lot of feeling, sing or do a solilique (I really don't know how to spell that) from Shakespeare? I think it would also be really good to read out loud to her siblings, especially if they are younger. Then she could practice reading with emotion. I would definitely try to find someone in the community who could mentor her and get her as involved as possible in your local theater groups.

As far as acting methodologies, there are any number of schools... and accompanying texts.

As for speaking for others / public speaking / reciting poetry / acting, I heartily recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Speak-Distinction-Classic-Skinner-Method/dp/1557830479

It appears that they've got a newer edition than the one I used in college, but it was fantastic. This could be used for oratorical studies in general, and also for theater studies.